Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle Air Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhammermil2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Idle Air Control Valve

After diagnosing a bad IACV valve on my 1999 Honda Civic LX, I replaced it with a new aftermarket one. Problem is, I am still getting vacuum leaks around the outside of the valve despite torquing properly. I tried another IACV from another part store with the same results. Gaskets are new. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Someone on another forum suggested rtv in addition to the new gasket, but I don't think this is wise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Idle Air Control Valve

Originally Posted by jhammermil2008
After diagnosing a bad IACV valve on my 1999 Honda Civic LX, I replaced it with a new aftermarket one. Problem is, I am still getting vacuum leaks around the outside of the valve despite torquing properly. I tried another IACV from another part store with the same results. Gaskets are new. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Someone on another forum suggested rtv in addition to the new gasket, but I don't think this is wise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
An OEM IAVC would be better but, at minimum use an OEM gasket from your local dealer instead of the one that came with the after-market part. Also use brake cleaner and a pick with light pressure to clean out the gasket track and brass (only) brush or razor blade with light pressure to clean the each mating surface.

You could use RTV or Hondabond but, shouldn't need to.
Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asylvester will become famous soon enough
Re: Idle Air Control Valve

Are you getting a CEL P0505? I had that code and I replaced my IACV. Got one off the internet for $50 (Honda charges $300+ for the part). Do not use any RTV or Hondabond. It has a rubber gasket, that is all you need. Just make sure surfaces are clean. Long story short, I replaced IACV and the damn P0505 code came back. Thought it may have been the $50 part but it turned out to be the damn PCV valve. It was not set perfectly and had slight vacuum leak. I put a bead of silicone around the base of the PCV where it connects to a black box. That fixed the vacuum leak and the damn P0505 finally went away!