Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WaryDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant

I add coolant every month or so to the white plastic reservoir tank to keep it from going below the MIN line. I have replaced the radiator, both upper&lower hoses, and the radiator cap with all brand new parts six months ago. First thing I did was "burp" the system when I replaced all these things to get rid of air. I did not replace thermostat as the old original one seemed to work (quick test I did was keeping my hand around the lower hose until car warmed up at which it'd then get hot and untouchable then eventually the fan would come on and off). Engine never overheats and engine temp needle never climbs above normal operating temp. Engine oil normal looking and not milky color. Coolant is blue like new and never discolored. I have driven this car every day and keep having to add coolant every month. Smells like antifreeze after driving sometimes because of it being sprayed on the exhaust manifold's heat shield as you can see in pics below.
1. From my pictures showing coolant residue, where was the coolant most likely to be coming out from?
2. What troubleshooting steps would you do to determine what is causing this to happen?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161219_144520.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	89322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161219_144512.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	89323   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161219_144456.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	89324  
Old 12-20-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Losing coolant and top front of engine keeps getting sprayed with coolant

Is coolant being blown out of the overflow reservoir and onto the manifold area?

Is the radiator level going low, while the reservoir level is rising?