Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'98 Civic EX Auto Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EricaHarbor is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry '98 Civic EX Auto Trans Issue

The problem: One day I was coming back from the store, accelerated from a stop light and trans wouldn't shift into 2nd, just revved up. I pulled over quick as I could, turned ignition off, back on, accelerated, and car shifted into 2nd, but this time wouldn't go to 3rd, the engine just revved. After doing this about 15 times I finally made it home (not much other choice at the time). Fast forward about 2 months>>>>

The issue: Mechanic took the entire trans apart, found no issues. Even replaced a few parts inside since we had already ordered them. He said it could possibly be the shift solenoids since literally everything else looked in great condition aside from the filter which he replaced. Even that had very very minimal dirt in it. I saw the inside of the trans and was there for most of this, the gears looked great, nothing was cracked or rubbing on anything, the thing was immaculate on the inside.

The question: WTF? Why isn't my car shifting?

If you need any further info, just let me know I will reply fast, and thanks in advance for checking this out and helping me.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the car does not go in reverse either.

Last edited by EricaHarbor; 12-13-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: '98 Civic EX Auto Trans Issue

Did the mechanic say anything about the condition of the clutch packs?

Did he inspect the inner CV axles to see if they might have popped out of the differential?
Old 12-15-2016
Registered!!

Not to me he didn't. I don't know. I made another thread on another forum that got some attention: http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...-issue.231640/ read through that and if you have any more questions let me know. I will tell you guys all that i was told.
Old 12-15-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EricaHarbor
Not to me he didn't. I don't know. I made another thread on another forum that got some attention: http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...-issue.231640/ read through that and if you have any more questions let me know. I will tell you guys all that i was told.
The guy on the clubcivic site is asking the right questions and is trying to narrow down related CEL codes and specific transmission type, as the EX auto transmission is geared differently than other models.

There is a way to test the shift solenoid: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...lenoid-tests-1 and lockup solenoid: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...lenoid-tests-1
If they test faulty then pulled some from a salvage yard for $20.. doesn't need to be replaced with a new part. When was the last ATF (automatic transmission fluid) drain and fill done?

Have the mechanic, your husband or yourself get the car up in the air and inspect the in CV axles to see if they popped out of the differential. If the driver side did your car won't go in reverse or drive.

Shift, Linear, lockup solenoid test video:

Automatic Transmission basics video:
Old 12-15-2016
Registered!!

Thanks! I'll pass this info along to them. If the problem does get solved, I will post here and in the other thread what the issue was and how it was fixed.
Old 12-31-2016
Registered!!

They put the trans back in today. I think I'm about to cry.
EDIT: I found this: http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...n-help.170729/