Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic - Eating alternators like candy

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jdban101 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic - Eating alternators like candy

Hello all, I'm a new user here.

My 98 civic has been going through alternator after alternator for the past couple years. I think its currently on the 4th alternator. Its not an easy part to replace, so its a huge hassle when they keep dying, even though warranty keeps replacing them for free. The last time one died, I switched from an O'Reilly alternator to a Pep Boys alternator, but again I am now left with a battery that doesn't charge while I drive.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? My guess is potentially a bad ELD (Electronic Load Detector) could be making the alternators burn out sooner, but finding one of those for a 98 civic seems to be difficult.

What would people suggest I do?
Old 12-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 Civic - Eating alternators like candy

Every time you replace one, it works for a while, yes?
Sounds like cheapo alternator syndrome.

6 months each is probably expected.

An original equipment low mileage used alternator from a recycle yard is probably going to be more reliable than most parts store cheapos.

What would people suggest I do?
Quit buying cheapo parts.

Price an alternator from Honda? There's a reason it's not cheap.

Got a rebuilder in your area that's any good? (some use quality parts, some use cheapo parts)
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Every now and then when a thread gets posted about alternators, there are often reports of poor quality alternators from just about every auto parts chain stores. Why is that? How can it be so consistently bad? Why can't anybody put out a decent product? It's not rocket science right?

Is it a case of the alternators being mechanically able to fit onto the car but is electrically incompliant with specs, which would lead to short life? That seems plausible, as it would mean having to offer fewer versions of the part.

*gets off milk crate*
Old 12-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old97civic
Every now and then when a thread gets posted about alternators, there are often reports of poor quality alternators from just about every auto parts chain stores. Why is that? How can it be so consistently bad?
They cater to (and profit greatly from) the 'walmart value shopper' mentality.

See also, 'white box', 'made in China', 'counterfeit'
Why can't anybody put out a decent product? It's not rocket science right?
Quality is out there, if someone wants to find it and pay for it.

Is it a case of the alternators being mechanically able to fit onto the car but is electrically incompliant with specs, which would lead to short life? That seems plausible, as it would mean having to offer fewer versions of the part.

*gets off milk crate*
Cost standard vs. quality standard.

JMHO. YMMV.
Old 12-06-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Are you over-tensioning the alternator belt? Other than that stop buying aftermarket ones from Poop Boys and O' Sharty's. A used OEM is most likely better than a new aftermarket.
Use this to search used parts in your area: http://car-part.com/
Can find pulled and U-pull.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-06-2016 at 07:07 PM.