Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Installing Cruise control in my 98 DX Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r_jojola is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing Cruise control in my 98 DX Hatch

Well, I decided to try and install cruise control in my 98 DX Hatch. I found a donor 97 LX at my local junk yard and went to work. I'm following the direction off of this thread (http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/cruise-control-dx-hx-cx-2749015/). After removing parts from my LX and comparing it to my DX I noticed something. From the Vacuum Tank to the Intake Manifold the LX had a nipple that the hose attached to...and the DX does not. The first picture is of the 97 LX, second of my 98 DX. I picked all the parts up for $46, that's including a driver air bag and a SRS unit. Any ideas why my DX doesn't have this nipple....and what do I do with the hose?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98 LX.png
Views:	147
Size:	4.26 MB
ID:	89276   Click image for larger version

Name:	98 DX.png
Views:	120
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	89277  

Last edited by r_jojola; 11-23-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Installing Cruise control in my 98 DX Hatch

is there a blocked off port on the dx manifold you can put a port in to use? or another vacuum line you can tee off of?
Old 11-23-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
is there a blocked off port on the dx manifold you can put a port in to use? or another vacuum line you can tee off of?

On the back of the intake manifold its solid metal. My son and I were just talking about finding another vacuum line to tee off of, only thing is I don't know how much vacuum the vacuum tank and actuator assembly needs to operate correctly.
Old 11-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It needs "manifold vacuum" (as opposed to 'ported' or 'venturi' vacuum)

For example, the brake booster is connected to manifold vacuum.

Name:  DSCN1027.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  114.7 KB

.................................................. ..............................................^^^. ........
I see a port here opposite the booster connection, what's hooked to it on your car?

Last edited by ezone; 11-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2016
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

OP kudos on doing this project. I thought about this myself at one point for my '97, but ended up not bothering as I'm usually driving the car locally or on an expressway when it's busy.

Thinking about your situation, could you put a T fitting in the brake booster vacuum line, so you could connect your cruise control vacuum line there?
Old 11-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
It needs "manifold vacuum" (as opposed to 'ported' or 'venturi' vacuum)

For example, the brake booster is connected to manifold vacuum.

.................................................. ..............................................^^^. ........
I see a port here opposite the booster connection, what's hooked to it on your car?
I think the port in the pic is for the fuel pressure regulator, which uses manifold vacuum, and the hose is probably a lot easier to splice with a nylon or plastic T fitting that fits correctly.
Old 11-25-2016
Registered!!

Thank you for all the input, looks like ill be installing a t into the brake booster. Now I just got to get a free day to attempt this. Can you draw a arrow to the port that you would suggest installing the T into? Will doing this change the vacuum pressure going to the brake booster? I know this is all theoretical....

Last edited by r_jojola; 11-25-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Personally I would cut the brake booster hose in two and have the booster connected straight through with the cruise control using the perpendicular part.

If any one wants to correct me feel free
Old 11-25-2016
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I would do as Colin42 suggested, cut into the line rather than trying to put the tee on a port. The lines have some give to them so you can get a good seal with eg hose clamp to cinch them down onto the tee. But not so hard that you crack the fitting of course

It'd be hard to get a seal between a fitting and one of those ports.

I'd install the CC actuator where it needs to go and that should guide you for where to cut into the brake booster line.