Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need some help. Don't know much on cars

Old 10-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kim.edwards is an unknown quantity at this point
Need some help. Don't know much on cars

So I bought this car and now I'm having problems. I hear a random knocking when ever it feels like doing it. I guess mainly while im off the gas some times while slowing down. It's the front right side possibly middle. I thought My axle at first but I took it to be replaced at a tire place and that was not the problem.but while I was there they told me I only have 2 bolts left where the manifold connects to the turbo. The others have snapped off inside. I'm taking it to be looked at today , but would that really be the cause of the sound? Kinda sounds like I'm dragging my front plastic bumper and its hitting against something. : m sorry that's the best way I can describe it. I don't know much about cars=/ I don't know what I got my self into. Also here's another problem. Can't pass deq because it won't send a signal when plugged in? Is my car screwed?
Old 10-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Need some help. Don't know much on cars

What kind of car are we talking about?

You said knocking sound but then dragging sound?

If you don't know much or where to look maybe have someone you know that is mechanically inclined go under and have a good look at it and also give it a drive so they know where to start looking. This way you can give some more info to go off of.
Old 10-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kim.edwards is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GusBuz
What kind of car are we talking about?

You said knocking sound but then dragging sound?

If you don't know much or where to look maybe have someone you know that is mechanically inclined go under and have a good look at it and also give it a drive so they know where to start looking. This way you can give some more info to go off of.
99 honda civic 2 door 5 speed. And yes imagine running over your bumper and it rubbing and bumping underneath the car for like 4 knocks. I can feel it in my pedal and through the floor. I originally thought it was my axel cause I first noticed when I was turning in a round about. But now I can't recreate the noise. I did get it to do it and I noticed it mostly when I let off the gas to slow down. With and without the break. But it's not every time which is why I have no idea. And I don't know anyone here to ask about it to look besides a shop and I want to avoid paying for them to just look at it but I guess that may be my only option.
Old 10-11-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

99 Civic with a turbo that won't read OBD II codes? SELL!SELL!SELL!

Civic have never been produced with turbos until 2016 so somebody has made that turbo setup possibly swapped another engine into it as well. Should probably try and figure out what engine is in there first and what the chances of passing an inspection are before spending any money on it. As for noise... did the place that checked it out rule out all suspension conponents as well? Could be upper control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings and so on. Without hearing it it's hard to say. I'd be more concerned about engine identification, inspection and condition at this point.

also 99 Civic is a 6th gen so moving this post to correct forum...