Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16Y7 Engine Knock. It's not the valve's

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eward is an unknown quantity at this point
D16Y7 Engine Knock. It's not the valve's

Alright first a little introduction from the dutch man.
Name is Eward, Own a pretty nice EJ6 Coupe with a D16Y7, but i haven't been looking after it very good apparently,but here's what happened.

I had to drive about 35 Miles somewhere for work, it was also pretty hot that day When i took the highway exit the engine started knocking, not extremly loud Then i took a look under the hood and the oil dipstick was empty... Then checked the coolant reservoir and that was empty too, besides all this the engine was very hot at that time. I drove it after the valves and it only makes the sound when i press the throttle, so when idling or just letting it roll it's gone.
Well now i really want to fix this torqueless wonder, so i adjusted the valves. They weren't that bad and it wasn't the problem. Now im wondering what the hell to knocking sound could be, i also recorded the sound. it might make it easier so someone could recognize it. Here it is

For anyone that could help, Thanks in advance(im willing to send the helper some cool **** if i can fix the issue)
Old 09-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16Y7 Engine Knock. It's not the valve's

Get it making noise, have someone hold the hold throttle steady at that position (or work throttle by hand from engine compartment)
Remove plug wires one at a time (or fuel injector connector, anything that will kill one cylinder at a time) listening for the one that makes the biggest difference in the noise. Now you know which cylinder is making the most noise.

Pull oil filter, cut it open. Look for metal caught in the filter pleats.

Drop oil pan, pull rod cap on the one cylinder that made the most difference in the steps above. Look for trashed rod bearing.

Call salvage yard, get a $500 engine and drop it in.

Boy, this is one of the few times I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Oh man, ive had 4 people telling me it's one of the rods. Thanks for the advice. i will do all that tommorow since im free. Luckely im getting about 2500 Euro's total on damage for this car. Retards drove into it when it was parked.
Old 09-21-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Luckely im getting about 2500 Euro's total on damage for this car. Retards drove into it when it was parked.
Blame that for the engine knock, collect an extra 1500?
Old 09-22-2016
Registered!!

Yeah so i did what you said, pulled out the spark cable from cilinder one, sound ****ing stopped. Does this mean it's smartest to throw in a new engine?
Old 09-22-2016

Originally Posted by Eward
Does this mean it's smartest to throw in a new engine?
I suppose it depends on your wants, needs, abilities, car value, and budget.

Overhaul yours, vs. drop in a decent running used engine of relatively unknown status.

Far quicker, easier, and usually cheaper to drop in a used engine, but it will be full of unknowns unless you want to take care of some stuff before the engine is installed. Unknowns could include sketchy service history, oil consumption rate, stuck or worn rings, timing belt maintenance, blown head gasket, valve adjust, tune up, etc. etc.. Most of this is easier to address before the engine is installed into the car.
Old 09-22-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Unknowns could include sketchy service history, oil consumption rate, stuck or worn rings, timing belt maintenance, blown head gasket, valve adjust, tune up, etc. etc.. Most of this is easier to address before the engine is installed into the car.
So true. Two used engine's in my son's Mazda 3 in past 6 months. First engine: high oil consumption that ended in rod knock. Second engine: blown head gasket from day one after install..almost 100% sure it was blown before install. In the process of head gasket replacement now.

If, you go used engine route try to find one that's running and can be tested, Search and watch youtube videos for best way to test salvage engine. Here's a good one. This guy has some of the best repair video's on youtube:

Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

Very good advice guys, it seems im getting a total of 3000 euro's for the damage, so i might sell it. Or i just keep driving the bitch till the motor dies, drop in a new one.
Thing is like most of you guys here on the forum, I really like this car, and the coupe that i own aren't around anymore. Here in the netherlands Some in good condition with about 220.000 KM,S on the clock go for about 3000 euro's to bad this engine just had 177.000
Just have checked the oil a lot more often..