Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

random misfire all cylinders 2000 civic hx

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbob is an unknown quantity at this point
random misfire all cylinders 2000 civic hx

New member.
Have 2000 hx cvt and love it. Car cel says random misfire all cyldrs. Honda dealer no help, cleared codes and said the car was too old ! CEL goes back on after20-40 miles , same codes.
I have checked : all cyl. 184 psi comp. , pretty good ! Timing, fuel pressure, set valve lash, spark test. New cap,rotor,wires,plugs,fuel filter.
Going through the ECS now. Would value any info/ideas. Must pass emissions test to renew plates !
Old 07-25-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: random misfire all cylinders 2000 civic hx

Googs says: https://www.google.com/search?q=2000...+all+cylinders

Spark plugs have any abnormal fouling signs?: http://www.defenderhelp.com/images/4...parkpCHART.jpg

Have you inspsected and test the ICM (ignition coil module) and igniter?
Old 07-25-2016
Registered!!

Going into that next. Plugs have picture perfect look, like the old ones no buildup or signs of fouling . The dist. shaft bearing like new. Will report on icm an ign.
Thanks, Bob
Old 07-25-2016

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mbob
Going into that next. Plugs have picture perfect look, like the old ones no buildup or signs of fouling . The dist. shaft bearing like new. Will report on icm an ign.
Thanks, Bob
Did you reset the ECU after the parts you replaced?
There's other sensors in the distributor that may be the cause of your car's CEL codes. Is one of the CEL's: P1382 http://www.autocodes.com/p1382_honda.html
Please list all CEL codes your's has.
Are you using NGK spark plugs?

Here's a couple links that may help:
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...re-condition-1
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...-of-articles-1

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-25-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

New member.
Have 2000 hx cvt and love it. Car cel says random misfire all cyldrs. Honda dealer no help, cleared codes and said the car was too old ! CEL goes back on after20-40 miles , same codes.
I have checked : all cyl. 184 psi comp. , pretty good ! Timing, fuel pressure, set valve lash, spark test. New cap,rotor,wires,plugs,fuel filter.
Going through the ECS now. Would value any info/ideas. Must pass emissions test to renew plates !
Which dealer did you go to? (I know a few people people so I'm wondering LOL)

You've got at least 2 other Honda dealers nearby to choose from, right? GO!

Can you feel it when it misfires?
What are the running and driving conditions when it does misfire?
How bad does it run when it does misfire?

How repeatable is the misfire, can you make it happen by driving a certain way?

Got any freeze frame data you can post?

If you are going to try to DIY this, I also would erase codes and let the computer start fresh, see which code returns first and see if that can be chased to an end. Hope you have a code reader of some sort you can keep plugged in and check on the fly.
Old 07-25-2016

Originally Posted by ezone
Which dealer did you go to? (I know a few people people so I'm wondering LOL) You've got at least 2 other Honda dealers nearby to choose from, right? GO! Can you feel it when it misfires?
What are the running and driving conditions when it does misfire?
How bad does it run when it does misfire?

How repeatable is the misfire, can you make it happen by driving a certain way? Got any freeze frame data you can post?

If you are going to try to DIY this, I also would erase codes and let the computer start fresh, see which code returns first and see if that can be chased to an end. Hope you have a code reader of some sort you can keep plugged in and check on the fly.
These are the questions a real mechanic ask. I am one-third shade tree mechanic, one-third internet mechanic
and one-third a_ _ hole LOL. Thankfully, Ezone either corrects me or bails me out when I stumble. OP you're in good hands now.
Old 07-25-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I found something that might be worth looking into:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420/A05-027.pdf

Wait, maybe not. Doesn't say HX on it. Check if you want to anyway, I've seen what's described in the bulletin on many cars in the past.
Old 08-02-2016
Registered!!

What code reader would you guys suggest ? Have been using jumper wire and counting flashes of cel , clearing codes with battery cables. Have been gone for a week and back to the Honda. Will continue checking sensors with volt ohm meter and research a code reader. What reader would you suggest ? It's obvious will need it for other cars in the future, my days of rebuilding F4s and powerglides are over !! Thanks
Old 08-02-2016

What code reader would you guys suggest ?
Depends on how much info you need out of the car.

I can't comment on readers and scanners, I have access to dealer level diagnostics.
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

civic has new NGK plugs , honda cap, rotor and wires. cleared codes and 10 miles later 1and 3 missfire code pops up.
Bommarito Honda was the dealer took car for diagnostic . Aftre 2 hours , kid come in with paper work : " Car is not worth repair due to age (2000) and milege (180,000)", in writing .
Are hondas unfixable? why doesn't he tell me what is sooo expensive to fix ?
Old 08-12-2016

Bommarito Honda was the dealer took car for diagnostic . Aftre 2 hours , kid come in with paper work : " Car is not worth repair due to age (2000) and milege (180,000)", in writing .
Are hondas unfixable? why doesn't he tell me what is sooo expensive to fix ?
The mechanic has no business deciding anything like what you posted.
His job is to diagnose the problem, present the facts, and an estimate for repair. (maybe it's a young rookie and doesn't know what's wrong???)
YOU then decide if the car is worth it or not.

If I wrote that on a work order, I'm sure any customer would be in the general managers office complaining, and I'd be hauled into that office shortly after.

I suggest you "bark up the chain" there. Service manager first, then if he can't resolve your issue you go to the general manager.

Bommarito has a few very smart Honda techs there. Ask for one of them.

Last edited by ezone; 08-12-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Bommarito,s service mang. has not called back after my in depth message. To busy getting those floor mats juuust right. While awaiting a distributor , checked valve lash and noticed cam follower/bearing has a marking like false brunnel and a few other bearing that are iffy. Is it possable that after180,000 miles maybe the valve mechanism is hanging up as speed goes up and down ? Notice that slowing down 70 to 30mph it may miss and smooth out. I picture this happening and the obd sees amiss because of difference in other cylinders . Thinking rebuild head ? Can't help myself , beautiful car well maintained must go 350k for me !!
Old 08-18-2016

Bommarito,s service mang. has not called back after my in depth message. To busy getting those floor mats juuust right.
My GF was there today to get the emissions test and safety inspection on her Honda Fit , it's got well over 200k on it..... the tech said it's in great shape and didn't even try to upsell anything on it LOL

checked valve lash and noticed cam follower/bearing has a marking like false brunnel and a few other bearing that are iffy.
They are roller rockers, the 'wheels' that ride against the cam lobes shouldn't have any flat spots and the cam lobes should be smooth, etc. Got any pics showing what you described?

I've seen oddly worn lobes and rocker rollers on a few engines but I haven't witnessed running issues caused by them.....they can be quite noisy though.
Old 08-29-2016
Registered!!

Took your advice and contacted shop boss and they did a proper diagnostic. Turns out the EGR passages were completely clogged up ! Got a quote for a new EGR valve and cleaning ports of $890.96. Hey, they gotta make a living too. That oem valve alone was $308 ! Took me 2 hours to pull the cover off intake and clean the crap out of those ports. Car is running great and will pass emissions test. The emission test is a pain , but can't stand a car that is missing or not right. Thanks for help Ezo and Turd , saved my bacon following advice.
PS- The shop manager was very helpful and made sure I got a good diagnosis. They waved the fee for diagnostic. Would recommend them and will continue to buy OEM oil for the trany as it is the smoothest and the reason I bought the car.
Next up '95 Mazda protege short block, beautiful car someone got water in the intake, that's for another forum ! Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2016

Not sure if all models have this removable plate:

P.S: I read through a few of the comments and one dude replied with this:

"Just to note, the HX (d16y5) is the only 6th gen single cam civic that has an EGR. The DX (d16y7) and EX (d16y8) don't have an EGR.. Thanks for the video"

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-30-2016 at 07:49 AM.