Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Weird no start issue

99 automatic, won't start.

Nothing even turns on when the key is turned. Even with another running car connected to it with jumper cables.

There is an issue with the shifter being really difficult to get in and out of park. Changing between any other gear is fine though.

I could see the shifter being related to it not starting, but not having any accessories even with a running car connected is weird.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird no start issue

Nothing lights up at all?
Blown 80A fuse? (probably because someone got the jumper cables backwards?)
Old 07-19-2016

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Nothing lights up at all?
Blown 80A fuse? (probably because someone got the jumper cables backwards?)
I had the cables the right way but I will check, the key in the ignition chime was still working but everything else was dead as a dodo
Old 07-19-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the key in the ignition chime was still working
When you said 'Nothing even turns on', I expected NOTHING to be working.

Make a list of everything that still works.

And another list of everything that doesn't.

The idea is to figure out what still has power and what doesn't, and figure out the common denominator.

Check all fuses in both fuse boxes?
Bad connections at the battery cables?
Bad ignition switch?
Old 07-20-2016

When you said 'Nothing even turns on', I expected NOTHING to be working.

Make a list of everything that still works.

And another list of everything that doesn't.

The idea is to figure out what still has power and what doesn't, and figure out the common denominator.

Check all fuses in both fuse boxes?
Bad connections at the battery cables?
Bad ignition switch?
Sorry my bad, I will check things over tonight when I have the car in front of me.

So far,

Working:
Key Chime
Power Lock Switch

Also found out from my girlfriend that when she went to start it originally it gave a little weak crank and then stopped. Which is why I suspected the battery was dead and I hooked my car up to boost it.
Old 07-20-2016

Jumper cables can be tricky to get good connections on all 4 ends at the same time

Charge and test battery, or swap in a known good battery and retry?
Old 07-24-2016

Jumper cables can be tricky to get good connections on all 4 ends at the same time

Charge and test battery, or swap in a known good battery and retry?
Little update,

Works:
Key chime, door lock switch.

Doesn't Work:
Horn, lights, dash, windows, HVAC, radio, mirrors, dome light, no start.

Don't even get a click when I turn the key.

I have 12.4v in the engine bay fuse box, both the 80A and the 40A fuses are good. Guess I'll start pulling fuses one by one until I find a blown one?

You had suggested a bad ignition switch, how would I go about testing that?

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-24-2016

Solved! (I think)

Found the main relay, pulled the black cover off to expose the two smaller relays, gave them a couple flicks, put it back in and the car started!

Turned the car off and tried to start it again, everything lit up, got a click and then it wouldn't start. Turned the key off and then back on and dead again. So it looks like I need to replace that main relay, I guess after 367,000 kms its gotten a little worn out.
Old 07-24-2016

Turned the car off and tried to start it again, everything lit up, got a click and then it wouldn't start.
Wouldn't start, but what DOES happen? Does the starter not engage at all, or does it engage and spin the engine but it won't run on its own, or what? There's about 300 things that have to happen in order for an engine to start.
Bad starter? What all does work?

Turned the key off and then back on and dead again.
What does 'dead' mean? I'm picturing zero electrical power anywhere again.

The main relay powers up the ECM and the fuel pump. It is a high failure item and will cause a 'no start' problem, but if you have a starter issue causing a 'no crank' situation it won't be because of the main relay.
From your descriptions, I can't yet tell if you are dealing with a 'no crank' or not.

If this is a 'no crank', and you also have problems pushing the shift lever to the PARK position, you may have a problem with the gear position switch not closing those contacts to allow starter operation. When it won't crank in park, will it crank in neutral?
I really can't tell what the issue is from your descriptions though.

Works:
Key chime, door lock switch.

Doesn't Work:
Horn, lights, ....... dome light,
These all should work at all times.
dash, windows, HVAC, radio, mirrors,
These all should only work with the ignition switch in either accessory or run positions. I assume when you say HVAC you mean the blower fan does not run?

I might use a simple 12v test light to check the ignition switch circuits.
I'd probably grab a wiring diagram to see if any or all of the above components share a single power or ground circuit, and/or pick an item and trace circuits out to the end while it is not working to see where the issue lies.

Example, following a power distribution diagram I can tell that if the 80A main fuse were blown --the ONLY things in the car that would still be powered are the horn, brake lights, and hazard lights. Nothing else can operate as nothing else can receive battery power. (The 80a fuse should not be your problem)
Old 07-24-2016

Wouldn't start, but what DOES happen? Does the starter not engage at all, or does it engage and spin the engine but it won't run on its own, or what? There's about 300 things that have to happen in order for an engine to start.
Bad starter? What all does work?

What does 'dead' mean? I'm picturing zero electrical power anywhere again.
Got a relay click and then nothing, no crank. And dead as in back to square one, same as start of the thread.

The main relay powers up the ECM and the fuel pump. It is a high failure item and will cause a 'no start' problem, but if you have a starter issue causing a 'no crank' situation it won't be because of the main relay.
From your descriptions, I can't yet tell if you are dealing with a 'no crank' or not.
Have no crank. But I don't have anything else either.

If this is a 'no crank', and you also have problems pushing the shift lever to the PARK position, you may have a problem with the gear position switch not closing those contacts to allow starter operation. When it won't crank in park, will it crank in neutral?
I really can't tell what the issue is from your descriptions though.
I believe its engaging in park ok, I went back out and smacked the relay a few times again, turned the key; to acc dash lit up, blower fan was going, tried to start, heard a click, no crank. Turned key off, went back to acc and nothing again. Tried smacking the relay again and still nothing, going to see if I can get my hands on a known good relay. I will check fuses again, didn't find any blown ones earlier, I did check the under hood ones again and they're still good.

These all should work at all times.
These all should only work with the ignition switch in either accessory or run positions. I assume when you say HVAC you mean the blower fan does not run?
Yes no blower or anything else besides key chime and door lock switch

I might use a simple 12v test light to check the ignition switch circuits.
I'd probably grab a wiring diagram to see if any or all of the above components share a single power or ground circuit, and/or pick an item and trace circuits out to the end while it is not working to see where the issue lies.
Example, following a power distribution diagram I can tell that if the 80A main fuse were blown --the ONLY things in the car that would still be powered are the horn, brake lights, and hazard lights. Nothing else can operate as nothing else can receive battery power. (The 80a fuse should not be your problem)
Old 07-24-2016

Got 12v test light?
Can you build one from a light bulb and some wire?
Old 07-25-2016

I'll pick one up today, any areas in particular I should focus on?
Old 07-25-2016

Learn how and why the test light illuminates.
Learn how to use it to check for a ground instead of a hot.
Notice how brightly it lights when checked on the battery posts, so you may notice if it is not at full brightness during some test later.

Test starter solenoid circuit (the small wire). You may need someone to twist the key for you during testing.

Then if you don't see 12v at the solenoid ....backtrack to the backside of the ignition switch and check for powers there while the key is twisted. After that you may need a wiring diagram
Old 09-07-2016

Ezone you're a god, I owe you multiple internet beers for all your help with the various questions I've asked

Update:

Finally got a chance to poke around in the car again last weekend, can't believe its been over a month.

I found a procedure online on how to test the ignition switch and after some testing discovered that was my problem. I guess a couple of the contacts aren't making a good connection any more.

I'll update again once I install the new one and the car starts reliably. Then I'll deal with the parking brake cables (both are snapped) and the shifter cable, I might try lubing it to see if that solves it, I think its just a little seized from sitting for over a year
Old 09-26-2016

Replaced the ignition switch yesterday, now the car starts everytime!
Popped the cover off the old switch, looks pretty toasted to me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_150242.jpg
Views:	3069
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	89129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_150254.jpg
Views:	3180
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	89130  
Old 09-26-2016