Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Smoke coming from trunk of car

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fvckbg is an unknown quantity at this point
Smoke coming from trunk of car

So I have a 98 civic ex and I've had this problem since yesterday. Basically whenever I play music, after awhile I smell this weird smell coming from the back of my car. I know it's coming from my system cause when I don't play music I don't ever smell anything. I can't really describe the smell, but it's like a burning smell. So I went and popped the trunk open and tried tracing where the smell is coming from. I found out the smell is strongest where the ground wire is connected to the car. I checked all the wires and none of them are loose cause I have them connected to the spade connectors. The ground wire is fine so I really don't know where this smell is coming from. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Smoke coming from trunk of car

Is it grounded well? Did this just start happening or has the system been in the car for a while?

I wouldn't use your radio until it is fixed. Did you check speaker wires? The power wire that goes to the battery?
Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fvckbg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Is it grounded well? Did this just start happening or has the system been in the car for a while?

I wouldn't use your radio until it is fixed. Did you check speaker wires? The power wire that goes to the battery?
yea it's grounded pretty good and I've had the system for awhile too. Everything was fine until yesterday. Speaker wires are good as well. Didn't check the power wire though.
Old 05-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Use your fingers and FEEL the wire/ends/crimps/connection areas (after you start smelling the stink of course).

Points of high resistance and poor connections will get HOT, these need to be corrected.
Old 05-16-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

^^

If somethings getting hot enough to smell it'll be super hot. Like ezone said just touch everything when you start to smell it. Do you have a fuse at the battery from your power lead to the amp? If not the whole length of that wire could be suspect as well.
Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have 2 or 3 way speakers in the rear? If so, sounds like the capacitor in the crossover is going out.