Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Mechanical Timing Slighlty Off (1/2 tooth) Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Mechanical Timing Slighlty Off (1/2 tooth) Symptoms

1997 Civic EX coupe (stock), A/T, 150K

Would a 1/2 tooth jump (if, that's possible) or slightly off mechanical timing cause excessive engine vibrations at idle? If so, would there be any additional symptoms?
Old 11-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Mechanical Timing Slighlty Off (1/2 tooth) Symptoms

I would think a CEL would get tripped.
Old 11-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not physically possible to jump HALF of a tooth.
It's all or nothing.
Check ignition timing with a timing light, is it 10 degrees off or more? (DO NOT ADJUST DISTRIBUTOR)

May or may not not set a CEL at one tooth off.
If it's a tooth off or more, it will struggle to idle and might increase vibration as the engine labors. Most people would notice loss of power or drop in gas mileage.
Old 11-01-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
It's all or nothing.
Check ignition timing with a timing light, is it 10 degrees off or more? (DO NOT ADJUST DISTRIBUTOR)

If it's a tooth off or more, it will struggle to idle and might increase vibration as the engine labors. Most people would notice loss of power or drop in gas mileage.
I bought a HF $20 timing light last week but, toy-like piece of crap broke on me within 5 minutes. Borrowing a good old Sears Craftsmen from my coworker today and will post results. Engine seems to be running well and doesn't vibrate much (Anchor motor mounts..previously posted) when in neutral but, definitely while braking.. could be a bad motor mount however, checked yesterday and no visual rips or tears. So, leading me towards timing.
Old 11-01-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

(DO NOT ADJUST DISTRIBUTOR)
Some notes about that comment:

Once a distributor is correctly set, it NEVER EVER needs to be moved for the rest of its natural lifetime. (unless someone has to take it apart for whatever reason, like replacing the O ring for an oil leak)

Base timing never changes once it is correctly set up.

There are no wear issues to deal with, no points (dwell) to vary timing as they wear, there is no distributor gear drive to wear. This ain't a small block Chebby.

If cam timing jumped, ignition timing will be off by a good 10* or some other huge number. If cam timing is off, the distributor is off by the same amount. Correct the cam timing problem and the distributor will be corrected too.
Unless someone jacked with it already.

If ignition timing is found to be off spec, either you are doing it wrong or you have a cam timing problem. Or someone set up the distributor wrong in the beginning. Or maybe the harmonic balancer slipped, but that's rare.

Don't forget to put a jumper wire in the SCS connector before checking timing. This stabilizes the timing and takes the computer controlled advance out of the picture.

Know which mark(s) you are looking for on the crank pulley ahead of time. There may be several to choose from. You may want to highlight it so you can see it better.

The engine spins backwards, this ain't a small block Chebby..

The distributor has 3 hold-down bolts that would need to be loosened in order to move it.
That means you have to make THREE MISTAKES before you can move it.

HTH
Old 11-01-2015

Some notes about that comment:

Once a distributor is correctly set, it NEVER EVER needs to be moved for the rest of its natural lifetime. (unless someone has to take it apart for whatever reason, like replacing the O ring for an oil leak)
Base timing never changes once it is correctly set up.
There are no wear issues to deal with, no points (dwell) to vary timing as they wear, there is no distributor gear drive to wear. This ain't a small block Chebby.

If cam timing jumped, ignition timing will be off by a good 10* or some other huge number. If cam timing is off, the distributor is off by the same amount. Correct the cam timing problem and the distributor will be corrected too. Unless someone jacked with it already.

If ignition timing is found to be off spec, either you are doing it wrong or you have a cam timing problem. Or someone set up the distributor wrong in the beginning. Or maybe the harmonic balancer slipped, but that's rare.
Don't forget to put a jumper wire in the SCS connector before checking timing. This stabilizes the timing and takes the computer controlled advance out of the picture.

Know which mark(s) you are looking for on the crank pulley ahead of time. There may be several to choose from. You may want to highlight it so you can see it better. The engine spins backwards, this ain't a small block Chebby.. The distributor has 3 hold-down bolts that would need to be loosened in order to move it.
That means you have to make THREE MISTAKES before you can move it.

HTH
Thanks Ezone I'll put that in my "Ezone Says" folder.

When I did the HG and TB a few months ago I matched the mark notched into the distributor to the one on the block a previous owner or mechanic marked. A week after that rechecked it with base timing with timing light and jumpered SCS connector: ignition timing was spot on.

Last week when I tried with the HF **** light I forgot to jumper it and moved the distributor to set for a slightly higher idle. .. stupid, right?
Old 11-01-2015

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
I forgot to jumper it and moved the distributor
I guess that counts as more than 3 mistakes LOL
to set for a slightly higher idle
Adjust timing to try to compensate for an idle issue? Solve the idle problem instead. Relearn?
Old 11-01-2015

I guess that counts as more than 3 mistakes LOL

Adjust timing to try to compensate for an idle issue? Solve the idle problem instead. Relearn?
I was tempted to check TDC yesterday after I completed the AC bearing but, I didn't have any energy left (poor sleep and too many beers the night before). My coworker didn't get my text to bring in his timing light so that's being delayed. I am buying this one and owner is shipping it to me:
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/tls/5250923824.html

I have a feeling the vibrations are going to lead to motor mount that I just can't pinpoint yet. Idle is pretty smooth in neutral and park,,, rough when braking and not moving.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-01-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2015

It's all or nothing.

The engine is not struggling to idle.. idle is steady and it doesn't raise or lower. No loss of power and mpg seems the same. Just increased vibrations.
Engine starts up quick and shuts down quick (no delay or pinging).
Old 11-01-2015

I keep forgetting you are the one with the motor mount issues.
Old 11-01-2015

I keep forgetting you are the one with the motor mount issues.
Damn it I didn't check the #7 mount shown in diagram. Would make sense if it turns out that one is bad.
Name:  RC-EM0008g.jpg
Views: 13656
Size:  100.7 KB

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-01-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2015

Damn it I didn't check the #7 mount shown in diagram. Would make sense if it turns out that one is bad.
#7 is a freekin huge steel bracket.
Old 11-01-2015

#7 is a freekin huge steel bracket.
Goddamnit I am just burying myself today. I just realized that #7 isn't a mount at the same time you pointed it out...lol
Alright, I have just drank my first beer after getting off work..now my head is clearer.

Well, maybe this will make sense?..plan of action
1) Check and set (if needed) base ignition timing per FSM
2) IF, ignition timing is off by more than 10 degrees check and correct mechanical timing.
3) IF, ignition timing is within spec recheck mounts or bring to mechanic to help isolate. Ezone: How do you isolate a mount in the shop?
4) IF, motor mounts are good:

"maybe the harmonic balancer slipped, but that's rare". Any other area/part such as the transmission or CV axle that could cause increased vibration?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-01-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2015

1) Check and set (if needed) base ignition timing per FSM
Put the distributor back where it started. You had it lined up on a mark someone else made and it was good, so put it back there.
3) IF, ignition timing is within spec recheck mounts or bring to mechanic to help isolate.
Throw away all the aftermarket mounts and install factory mounts.
Then look for a problem if it still isn't right.

Ezone: How do you isolate a mount in the shop?
It varies, and it's not an exact science..
4 cylinder engines vibrate naturally, best you can do is have soft mounts so the the engine can shake and vibes aren't sent through the body.

Sometimes you can SEE a problem.
Sometimes I can put a jack under the powertrain to take weight off the mounts and see if that makes a difference.
Sometimes it's not mounts at all, it may be vibration transmitted from elsewhere, like AC lines or exhaust pipes.
Sometimes it's a SWAG.

And when the mounts in a car already look new and the owner is complaining about engine vibration, I'll suggest return to your installer and let them sort it out because you already paid for them to fix it.
(If you didn't want to pay for factory mounts before, you probably won't buy them now either.)
Old 11-02-2015

Please delete this..duplicate post.could not delete,
where is delete button?,,lol

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-02-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2015

Put the distributor back where it started. You had it lined up on a mark someone else made and it was good, so put it back there.
Done. I disconnected battery> drained residual charge> moved distributor back to match-up notches. Engine idling well.

Throw away all the aftermarket mounts and install factory mounts. Then look for a problem if it still isn't right.
Took the car to two mechanics (independently owned) today. Both shops performed standard testing: Car in drive + brakes engaged + acceleration in both drive and reverse. First shop had two young employees do the testing and said the mounts look fine. The owner took a look at idling and started telling me all the other things it could be but, he didn't watch the mount test himself. He said to start by replacing the distributor cap, wires (he kinda dissed my Prestolite wires saying they are 18 years old..lol), fuel filter and spark plugs. I told him I don't want to just throw parts at it and those parts can all be tested. He recommended testing with his $20,000 dollar scanner ($70 for test) to find issue that might not show as a CEL. I declined on the scanner and thanked him and his staff for their time. He didn't charge a fee.

Second mechanic (which is just a minute away from my home) turned out to be an old acquaintance. He checked mounts while I did the other part. He then told me to keep it in drive while braking and adjusted the throttle by hand. He revved it up pretty good (but, below rev limiter) and released it (decelerated) quickly and then re-accelerated which caused a noticeable double jump to the drive-train. He said the transmission mount (#2 in diagram) is bad and typical of the symptoms I described to him. He did not charge a fee for diagnosis.

It varies, and it's not an exact science..
4 cylinder engines vibrate naturally, best you can do is have soft mounts so the the engine can shake and vibes aren't sent through the body.
The transmission mount is not one of the three I have replaced within this year. So, I plan to replace that one and the passenger side lower mount (#8 in diagram) with those on this list: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-l...gine-mount.htm
The three (#3,5,9) that I have replaced this year are limited lifetime warrantied = replace once only. They are functioning fine and still have a one time replacement if they fail so, other than the increased vibration comparatively to OE, it doesn't make sense (economically) to replace them at this point.

Four out of the five mounts are solid rubber for both OE and aftermarket. The OE driver's side upper engine mount (#5) is hydraulic (fluid filled) and aftermarket is solid rubber. Other than the #5 mount being hydraulic what are the differences between OE and aftermarket for the other four mounts?

Sometimes you can SEE a problem.
Sometimes I can put a jack under the powertrain to take weight off the mounts and see if that makes a difference.
I will do this before I order the mounts to make sure. Video posted below shows what you described, my car's symptoms and being demonstrated on the (7th gen,, but, close enough) transmission mount:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-02-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2015

The transmission mount is not one of the three I have replaced within this year. So, I plan to replace that one and the passenger side lower mount (#8 in diagram) with those on this list:
(your link above went nowhere)

Earlier linked diagram: 2, 3, and 5 are the only mounts that you should be concerned with. If #2 is bad now, change it and see how it goes.

8 and 9 have nothing to do with holding up the drivetrain or vibrations (unless your new one is vastly different from the flimsy original design). You can throw them away and you'd never know any different......except maybe unless you crash.

what are the differences between OE and aftermarket for the other
Biggest difference I ever get to see is usually the vibration complaints after someone installs aftermarkets.
Appearances aren't everything, AM parts can look exactly the same as factory but be vastly different. The hardness of the rubber(?) compound and/or gaps to allow movement can make a helluva difference.
Maybe even making an all-rubber mount instead of a hydraulic mount....they will look the same and sell to the value shopper.
Old 11-02-2015

8 and 9 have nothing to do with holding up the drivetrain or vibrations (unless your new one is vastly different from the flimsy original design). You can throw them away and you'd never know any different......except maybe unless you crash.
What purpose do they serve?
Yes.. still flimsy.
I won't buy #8 then. Looks to be in good shape anyway.
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-l...ine-mount.html

Biggest difference I ever get to see is usually the vibration complaints after someone installs aftermarkets.
Appearances aren't everything, AM parts can look exactly the same as factory but be vastly different. The hardness of the rubber(?) compound and/or gaps to allow movement can make a helluva difference.
Maybe even making an all-rubber mount instead of a hydraulic mount....they will look the same and sell to the value shopper.
That's what I thinking too. Thanks..good info.

I think in the case of motor mounts (only) most people's, including myself, first choice for quality and longevity would be OE/OEM. However, it's usually a matter of price that people (myself included) end up settling for aftermarket...which in the long run is probably as much or more expensive depending on length of ownership because they will need to be replaced more often.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-02-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2015

What purpose do they serve?
The only logical explanation I have ever heard is they help guide the drivetrain down, out of the engine compartment and under the passenger compartment in the event of certain types of front end collisions....instead of shoving it through the firewall to say "hello" and snuggle with your kneecaps.
If you've ever hung around a body shop you can sometimes see how this has happened in a crash. It's actually really amazing to see how they crash and fold up, you can see crumple zones and how they design cars to protect the passengers when crashed.

Yes.. still flimsy.
It sure isn't doing anything to control vibration or hold up the engine or trans. Not with 2" of slop in it.

However, it's usually a matter of price that people (myself included) end up settling for aftermarket...which in the long run is probably as much or more expensive depending on length of ownership because they will need to be replaced more often.
I know it's not always the case, but sometimes a factory part can be a lot cheaper than aftermarket too. (Not so much with Hondas parts prices, but I see it a lot with the Big3.)
People are so used to factory prices being high that they don't bother to check and compare at all.

Like the poster earlier today saying he gave $60 for brake pads from a parts store and now has a noise issue. Factory pads looked like only $63 at full retail.... Less if you internet (or get a discount because you're in the auto biz). We have almost zero complaints about brake noise using factory pads.

On that note....
You should have seen when I did some maintenance work on my dads truck a couple weeks ago. Dad picked up his own parts and brought them out to work.

DangerZone was 100% fail on ATF (needed Dexron6), a trans filter kit (wrong-o) and a set of spark plugs (Botch). The GM dealer got everything right, it was in stock, and with my discount it was cheaper than the parts store. And it all fits right on the first try, there's no worry about quality, they will last as long as original, and I can sleep at night.
Old 11-03-2015

The only logical explanation I have ever heard is they help guide the drivetrain down, out of the engine compartment and under the passenger compartment in the event of certain types of front end collisions....instead of shoving it through the firewall to say "hello" and snuggle with your kneecaps.
I replaced the front lower left mount 4 months ago and watched the video below beforehand for tips. He describes syptoms he noticed. Mine was ripped badly and after replacing it "seems" like it did reduce shifting motion as he described. Also, increased vibrations a bit.

I know it's not always the case, but sometimes a factory part can be a lot cheaper than aftermarket too. (Not so much with Hondas parts prices, but I see it a lot with the Big3.) People are so used to factory prices being high that they don't bother to check and compare at all.
HondaPartsNow.com has really good prices. A lot of there OE or OEM is the same or less than aftermarket online and cheaper than chain store autoparts stores.

DangerZone
Lol.. nice. Kenny Loggins would be proud.

Dealer got everything right, it was in stock, and with my discount it was cheaper than the parts store. And it all fits right on the first try, there's no worry about quality, they will last as long as original, and I can sleep at night.
Can't argue with that.

Front lower mount vid:
Old 11-04-2015

Now car is on jack stands sides and floor jack in front (sub-frame) with jack/wood support under transmission. Wheels still on, E-brake engaged, helper put car into gear and I checked mounts. Transmission mount is good but, rear (firewall side) engine mount is shot..lot's of movement. That was an Anchor brand and the hardest mount to remove. Now, the depression sets in..lol. Moral of story.. buy OE/OEM replacements per Ezone's suggestion.

I have one limited lifetime warranty coming to me..so, I'll use that up and a year or less later from now I will get to do this all over again... BLOW ME ANCHOR!!

Update 1 hour later: Damn it!.. I pulled the rear engine mount out and it's in new condition still..no rips or tears. I APOLOGIZE ANCHOR!

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-04-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2015

lot's of movement.

Update 1 hour later: Damn it!.. I pulled the rear engine mount out and it's in new condition still..no rips or tears. I APOLOGIZE ANCHOR!
An engine/trans will move a lot when you torque it up, even perfectly good mounts can allow a lot of movement.
Old 11-04-2015

An engine/trans will move a lot when you torque it up, even perfectly good mounts can allow a lot of movement.
My mom has an '04 Civic VP and my son and I did a mounts test on it this evening and sure enough it raises up about the same as my engine.
When I checked my car's mounts earlier (on stands and in gear) today the rear engine mount had so much movement it looked like an obvious failure.

The front passenger side lower mount has a partial tear. I broke the top part of the oil dipstick the other day and I made a trip to LKQ junkyard this afternoon to pick one and possibly a decent mount. I found a dipstick, front lower ps mount and what looks to be an OE or OEM hydraulic driver's side top engine mount, all in seemingly good condition. I picked them from a '96 EX 4-door with A/T and hope they will work for mine ('97 EX coupe A/T). I know picking mounts from a salvage yard is a crap shoot but, they were only $11 each and returnable if they don't fit or damaged.

Car is still on jacks and after I put on the the two salvage mounts I will "neutralize and sequence" all five mounts. If, that doesn't solve the issue I will turn my attention to the right front CV axle (leaking boot). I did full lock left and right circles and there's no clicking or grinding.Any other CV axle tests I can do?
I have read various threads in which posters fixed the original issue my car has by replacing a CV axle. It's almost as much work to properly replace the boot as it is to replace the whole axle. Boot replacement (only) is obvioulsy cheaper though.
Old 11-04-2015

hydraulic driver's side top engine mount,'96 EX 4-door with A/T and hope they will work for mine ('97 EX coupe A/T).
My catalog shows the same part numbers

I have read various threads in which posters fixed the original issue my car has by replacing a CV axle. It's almost as much work to properly replace the boot as it is to replace the whole axle. Boot replacement (only) is obvioulsy cheaper though.
If it's still quiet you can stick a boot on it, just don't forget to load it up with fresh CV grease.

An OE boot is great quality and normally it's very complete. Comes with grease.

Aftermarket boots have been a crapshoot for me (I cringe when they want me to install one), and cheap axles are cheap. Cheap axle prices will make you question your intelligence for buying a boot and spending 4x more time getting covered in grease. Changing out JUST an axle can be pretty quick IMO.

..... A boot sometimes can be a helluva lot of work to replace, and if you get aftermarket there's almost always a shortage of stuff to get the job done or you don't have the right tool to tighten the dang clamp or band.....Some axle designs make you take apart the inner joint in order to put the boot on the outer joint and aftermarket won't give you enough clamps to get it done.

Think about the axle seal (on the trans) while it's out.
Old 11-05-2015

Thanks Ezone.

Today I installed the salvaged mounts, neutralize all, and torqued in sequence per the link you previously posted. I verified mechanical timing again just to be sure. The white mark on the crank pulley lines up spot on with the timing cover marks and 1st piston at TDC. Cam gear's two marks line up horizontally with top cylinder head, "UP" mark at noon.

Unfortunately, the passenger side CV boot has big tear at the bottom. My suspicion is that most of the grease has leaked out and there may an issue with the outer CV gears that is causing my original problem of vibration while in gear + brakes engaged. I think it's also the cause for delays and front to back shifting motion during deceleration to acceleration. Some intermittent faint clunking going on from park to reverse.
Old 11-05-2015

Unfortunately, the passenger side CV boot has big tear at the bottom. My suspicion is that most of the grease has leaked out and there may an issue with the outer CV gears that is causing my original problem of vibration while in gear + brakes engaged. I think it's also the cause for delays and front to back shifting motion during deceleration to acceleration. Some intermittent faint clunking going on from park to reverse.
IMO none of these issues described will be caused by a CV joint, especially one that doesn't have enough wear to go poppita-poppita-poppita-poppita during a tight turn.

And there's no gears inside one.
Outer joint diagram, typical:

HTH
Old 11-05-2015

That's a cool diagram.

I'll probably end up replacing it with a new aftermarket. I feel I'll be selling this car within the next six months.

I've been regentrifying this car like CtPa town:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-05-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2015

IMO none of these issues described will be caused by a CV joint.
http://www.raxles.com/axleparts.aspx
"A "clunking" sound on deceleration or acceleration may be caused by a worn inner joint. This sympton may also indicate a problem with the transaxle.
Vibration or shudder during acceleration may indicate a problem with the inner joint or a bent shaft."
Old 11-06-2015

http://www.raxles.com/axleparts.aspx
"A "clunking" sound on deceleration or acceleration may be caused by a worn inner joint. This sympton may also indicate a problem with the transaxle.
Vibration or shudder during acceleration may indicate a problem with the inner joint or a bent shaft."

***erased rambling commentary***
Nevermind.

A worn inner CV joint can do weird things, frequently shows up as a a side-to-side shake under acceleration and it may come and go as the joint plunges and stops in a different location........
but I thought you were concerned with the open boot
on the outer joint.

Go ahead and change out the axle, let us know if it fixed all the problems?
Old 11-06-2015

***erased rambling commentary***
Nevermind.

Thanks for editing yourself.. I bet it wasn't going to words of encouragement Lol.
We were focused on the outer joint because, that's where the tear is. I should have been more specific towards the inner joint symptoms.

A worn inner CV joint can do weird things, frequently shows up as a a side-to-side shake under acceleration and it may come and go as the joint plunges and stops in a different location........but I thought you were concerned with the open boot
on the outer joint.
Go ahead and change out the axle, let us know if it fixed all the problems?
Here's the dilema.. it could be the driver's side inner joint causing the issue? However, that one has less than 5k miles on it (replaced 6 months ago). I will start by completely pulling the passenger side and hope that's there's rattling and/or sloppy play in the inner joint.
This is a good read covering CV axles (for myself and other novices/ future inquirers): http://autoresource.internetautoguid...-bad-1356.html

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-06-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: redo

Quick Reply: Mechanical Timing Slighlty Off (1/2 tooth) Symptoms