Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver Door Not Locking

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Driver Door Not Locking

1998 Civic EX Coupe. A/T, 150k miles

No FOB (key-less remote) with car. Key will not lock door driver's from outside. Key does lock/unlock passenger door from outside. While inside the car the power door lock switch locks/unlocks passenger side and moves the plastic lever (near door handle) however, does not lock/unlock driver door.
Is the a driver door actuator issue or door lock control unit issue or other?
Old 08-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Driver Door Not Locking

May or may not be a actuator, but most likely there is a small plastic clip broken or the rod has popped out.
Either way, it is a simple fix. You need to pull the door panel and determine of the clip is broken or popped off. If off, just place rod back in and snap clip back on. If broken, just get a new clip and replace.
Probably part of assembly 36 >
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-l...door-lock.html
Old 08-27-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
May or may not be a actuator, but most likely there is a small plastic clip broken or the rod has popped out.
Either way, it is a simple fix. You need to pull the door panel and determine of the clip is broken or popped off. If off, just place rod back in and snap clip back on. If broken, just get a new clip and replace.
Probably part of assembly 36 >
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-l...door-lock.html
Thanks, I will check it out..hopefully that will be the case... I for-see a trip to my local junk yard.
Old 09-02-2015

All connecting rods are in place and clips intact.. not the issue.

Pulled actuator and the arm is moving but is very weak and squeals when slight pressure is held against the arm in either direction. Pulled a used one from the junk yard which seems to work when I tested it while not attached to door latch assembly. Tried several times to get the arm connected to the peg as shown in the video below at the 2:50 mark and past. My latch assembly and actuator is slightly different the one in the video.. but, I can feel a post however, i just can get the hole in the arm lined up with that peg.

I also have a feeling the door latch mechanism itself maybe be broken but, I won't know until I get the actuator mounted right. Should it be this difficult to line up the actuator arm hole to the latch peg

Could the blue central door lock module cause any of this?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-02-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Could the blue central door lock module cause any of this?
Put a test light across the 2 wires that run the lock motor and find out.

You know the drivers door has to be latched before you can lock or unlock it, right?

You know you have to pull out on the inside or outside handle before you can lock or unlock it with the door open, right?

Drivers door only.
Old 09-02-2015

Originally Posted by ezone
Put a test light across the 2 wires that run the lock motor and find out.

You know the drivers door has to be latched before you can lock or unlock it, right?
I don't know chit mang.. this is my first time doing this..lol
I tried locking/unlocking (after new actuator install) using key from outside and lock switch from inside with both the door opened and shut (latched) didn't lock

You know you have to pull out on the inside or outside handle before you can lock or unlock it with the door open, right?
Didn't know that..thanks

Drivers door only.
Yes

For my car's year and model is there for sure a post the actuator arm connects to?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-02-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
For my car's year and model is there for sure a post the actuator arm connects to?
I have no idea man, I haven't seen one of those in my hands in many years.
Old 09-02-2015

I have no idea man, I haven't seen one of those in my hands in many years.
Damn now I know I'm in trouble if your not sure about it..
Thanks though. I'm giving it another shot later today and if i can't get it ..then I'll try to find a mechanic (other than dealer) or auto body shop that knows Civics.
Old 09-03-2015

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Damn now I know I'm in trouble if your not sure about it..
I'm in a dealership.
10 year old cars are kinda rare to see here-- unless it's for a recall.
17 year old cars here in the dealer? Almost nonexistent.

And I'm old, I've already forgotten more than most will ever know.
Old 09-03-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

And I'm old, I've already forgotten more than most will ever know.
You remind me of good old kelly bundy. You are the most complete source of knowledge, but have your limits. So I shall now give you some info to push some older info out of your memory.

The new info "I work for a guy named Bob" Wonder what you have now forgotten.
Old 09-03-2015

turd: 1
ezone: 1,000+ and counting

Got er' dicked.
There is definitely a post the actuator arm connects to..just like in the video. I tried several times to slide in but, couldn't get the post/arm hole to line up. Ended up removing the latch entirely (door handle not removed). Once the latch was completely out it was easy to line up the actuator's arm hole to the plastic post that locks/unlocks the latch. Synthetic greased moving parts, put it back together, and it's working well.

The video below shows how to remove the two rods that attach the to the outside door handle. If I encounter an actuator issue again I will remove the latch and actuator as one unit as it makes it easier to align actuator to latch.
Thanks everyone for your replies.