Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Honda Civic EX not starting! Any ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jwzy is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Honda Civic EX not starting! Any ideas and suggestions welcomed.

So I have a 1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX, my car will crank but it won't turn over, here's my diagnostics:

When I tried to start my car, I stepped on the gas to try and get some fuel pumping but it sounded like a misfire. I have recently replaced the radiator, fuel pump, thermostat, and battery. I had cooling problems and there seems to be oil getting into my (new) radiator, the coolant was pink but it looks brown, which is an idicator that my head gasket is blown or my timing belt could be broken.
I know that I am getting a good spark and I have fuel. I have thought about taking a look at the ECU. My fuses seem to be okay because none of them are broken or damaged.

What would be the best test to run first to eliminate the possible problens and what can I try next? Mahalo
Old 08-23-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 1999 Honda Civic EX not starting! Any ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Originally Posted by Jwzy
I know that I am getting a good spark and I have fuel.
If you know those to are good then testing compression would be next.

I had cooling problems and there seems to be oil getting into my (new) radiator, the coolant was pink but it looks brown, which is an idicator that my head gasket is blown or my timing belt could be broken.
Possibly HG does your coolant reservoir overfill after driving?

I'm going to move this to 6th gen mechanical issues forum as well
Old 08-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Compression test.
Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jwzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, Suppose the starter is good but the starter circuit is not, would the engine still crank or would there be no crank at all? Another friend of mine suggested checking the starter circuit.
Old 08-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose the starter is good but the starter circuit is not, would the engine still crank or would there be no crank at all?
No crank.

If the starter will crank the engine at the usual speed (does not sound unusually slow or draggy), the starter and all of its circuits are probably ok at the moment.

If one or some of the cylinders have lost compression, the starter cranking may sound much less 'even' than usual.
If all the cylinders have lost compression, the starter may sound fairly even but may also sound like it's not having to put much effort into cranking.