Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Using paperclip to read OBDII error codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyborg Ninja is an unknown quantity at this point
Using paperclip to read OBDII error codes

I hope that I'll be able to get some quick help here. I'm trying to read error codes with a paperclip in my '98 Civic Ex. I was able to get a panel covering the ECU off. I think I figured out which plug I need, but it looks really hard to get to. There's a big ribbon or cable in the way, which isn't easily moveable because it's connected oddly enough to the ECU itself with a plastic band and some kind of screw it seems. And the plug itself, I don't know how to remove. It's absolutely tiny and I don't see an easy way to pull it out without tugging the wires. What do I do?

I believe it's the blue plug in a larger green plug near the top of the image. It has a brown and black wire.

Name:  KxbeEIt.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  162.4 KB
Old 06-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using paperclip to read OBDII error codes

You found the correct plug.

Press the blue lock tab down (top, center) and remove from the green holder.
Old 06-22-2015
Registered!!

Cyborg Ninja is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked more closely at it with a flashlight, and noticed the lock tab must have broken off at some point. Probably when the ECU was replaced years before I got the car. All I see is an indentation or hole there.

UPDATE:
I was wrong about the tab. It was there, just kind of hidden from the thick green rubber housing. I still couldn't pull it out, so I used a knife to break into the green housing and pulled it out easily after that. I then ran the test, and there's still only one error, which is either error 5 or 41, I think it's the latter because I was told before the code was from a faulty O2 sensor. Hope it's ok I left the paperclip in there.

Last edited by Cyborg Ninja; 06-22-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: got it
Old 06-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

is either error 5 or 41,
You better figure out how to read flash codes then. Long and short blinks indicate tens and ones place.
Long- long- long- long- short would be 41.
Five short blinks would be code 5.

Or...just swing by any discount parts store that's open on Sunday and have them read the OBD2 code.
Hope it's ok I left the paperclip in there.
Don't drive around with the paper clip in it.
Remove it before driving.
You can leave the connector dangling under the dash if you want, but take out the paper clip.
Old 06-29-2021
Registered!!

1969brianfitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Using paperclip to read OBDII error codes

Originally Posted by ezone
You better figure out how to read flash codes then. Long and short blinks indicate tens and ones place.
Long- long- long- long- short would be 41.
Five short blinks would be code 5.

Or...just swing by any discount parts store that's open on Sunday and have them read the OBD2 code.
Don't drive around with the paper clip in it.
Remove it before driving.
You can leave the connector dangling under the dash if you want, but take out the paper clip.

never use a paper clip in your OBDII port as I did trying to program a new car remote and it shorted out my car causing a lot of damage that I had to pay over 200 in diag fees and parts to fix...I wouldnt recommend it just buy a code reader are you that cheap
Old 06-29-2021
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 1969brianfitz
never use a paper clip in your OBDII port as I did trying to program a new car remote and it shorted out my car causing a lot of damage that I had to pay over 200 in diag fees and parts to fix...I wouldnt recommend it just buy a code reader are you that cheap
It’s been 6 years since this thread was touched, so it appears all went well.
Old 06-30-2021
Registered!!

1969brianfitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
It’s been 6 years since this thread was touched, so it appears all went well.
well you responded in 30 seconds..so we shall see
Old 06-30-2021
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 1969brianfitz
well you responded in 30 seconds..so we shall see
Because I’m active on the forum. Please don’t revive dead threads.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (07-01-2021)