Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help with air conditioner in 2000 Civic

Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbander is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with air conditioner in 2000 Civic

No cold, So I turned the air on in the car and turned the fan on, the motor was dragged down. Opened the hood and checked the clutch and fan both were running. But the clutch didn't cycle, but stayed on. So I felt the high and low pressure lines and of course they were hot. So I had a hose and adapter with a pressure gauge on it for the air . I connected it without a can of refrigerant on it, if that makes a difference. It showed no pressure. So I pushed the air release in the fitting that you use to put refrigerant in and it made no noise and nothing came out. So I pushed the one on the high pressure side and it sprayed florescent lime green liquid and release some pressure. First shouldn't the clutch be off if there is no refrigerant or at least cycling. The green liquid I assume is die to find leaks , so I looked around but didn't see any green coming out of the system. I have a can of refrigerant , it came with it's own hose without a valve. It has sealer and dye in it. Where am I and what do I do next?? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help with air conditioner in 2000 Civic

turned the fan on, the motor was dragged down
What do you mean, "dragged down"?

So I felt the high and low pressure lines and of course they were hot.
Both the high and low pressure lines were hot? The low pressure side should be COLD and high pressure should be hot.

I connected it without a can of refrigerant on it, if that makes a difference. It showed no pressure.
Wait, where exactly did you connect it?

Is the clutch actually engaging the compressor? Are you absolutely sure?

Tap the compressor clutch relay... does it engage the compressor (if it was not running).

Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

jbander is an unknown quantity at this point

Dragged down= lowered the RPM suggesting that the Air was engaging. I connected A hose and gauge without a can of refrigerant on it, It showed no pressure on the low pressure side. The clutch and fan are engaged but the clutch wasn't cycling. The clutch doesn't cycle at all with low or no pressure on the low pressure side. Both the High and low pressure hose are hot. If I can't fix it myself , it will have to stay broken, I don't have the money for a shop.

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
What do you mean, "dragged down"?

Both the high and low pressure lines were hot? The low pressure side should be COLD and high pressure should be hot.

Wait, where exactly did you connect it?

Is the clutch actually engaging the compressor? Are you absolutely sure?

Tap the compressor clutch relay... does it engage the compressor (if it was not running).

Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

It would be interesting to know what the pressure is on the high pressure side.

You could either have a leak and be low on refrigerant or you could have a stuck expansion valve, which will not allow the gasses to flow from the high pressure side to the low pressure side, thus producing cold.

I am not exactly sure what the pressures should be on the high side, but I'm sure you can find that somewhere on the site here or google it.

If you find the pressure to be adequate, it would most likely point to the expansion valve... from Majestic Honda it looks like an $80 part, but you would have to re-pressurize the system after you replace it. Meaning you would have to buy the high and low pressure gauges/hoses and cans of refrigerant...