Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Miss at lower RPM, worst with temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ninetyatecivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Miss at lower RPM, worst with temperature.

Let me start off by saying I am brand new to Civic's. I have a BONE stock 98 civic Lx. 5 speed, d16y7? I believe that is what I have, non-vtec. Not the best with the engine acronyms sorry.

The car drives great over 2100 RPM's when warm. The issue is most prominent when it is cold. There is what feels like, a really bad miss/hesitation under 2000 rpm's at any engine load. IE: Very slow take off, more throttle application, cruising.

It "jerks" forward off idle in first gear, like rolling through a parking lot. The pedal engagement off idle is very harsh. Anything under 2500 rpm's when cold/warming up is jerky and feels like it's surging abruptly as the rpm's climb.

Is this normal for this engine/these cars? Do they need to be shifted at 3000+ rpm's when cold to avoid this? I haven't averaged below 36 MPG so it's running great as far as that goes. I know how to drive a 4 cylinder, I'm not trying to lug it 1400 rpm's up a hill.

Completely stock down to air filter and exhaust. Newer cap and rotor, new fuel filter, NGK plugs that look brand new. All oils been changed, ran 9 oz of Lucas fuel treatment through over the last 3 tanks. Car runs better when fully warm, but it is still there. No codes or lights as well.

Car is new to me, but has been maintained well. Timing belt, wp, oils, everything is working great and hasn't been an abused/toyed with car. This just seems off to me. Thoughts? Normal or...?
Old 05-09-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Miss at lower RPM, worst with temperature.

Originally Posted by Ninetyatecivic
It "jerks" forward off idle in first gear, like rolling through a parking lot. The pedal engagement off idle is very harsh. Anything under 2500 rpm's when cold/warming up is jerky and feels like it's surging abruptly as the rpm's climb.
Sounds similar to this.....

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-starting.html

Is this normal for this engine/these cars?
nope

Do they need to be shifted at 3000+ rpm's when cold to avoid this?
nope
Car runs better when fully warm, but it is still there. No codes or lights as well.
How long have you owned the car for? I'd say hook a scanner up and check but I'd be willing to bet the PO cleared the codes before sale.

Thoughts? Normal or...?
No, not normal I've been driving a D16y7 5sp for 5 years now. From a cold start it'll idle high (1700ish rpm) untl it warms up. I don't even try to drive it until it drops below 1500 rpm because it makes shifting rough...and it should idle at 750 rpm when at operating temperature.

It seems the PO threw a whole bunch of parts at it before selling. Makes you wonder why.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

i have owned the car for about a month. it's driven daily and has given me no issues. the previous owner had receipts from 20k miles ago for; timing belt, wp, tensioner, cap/rotor, oil changes, ect.

soon as i got the car, i went through it as i always do. no codes in over 1000 miles. EXCEPT the day i got it. heading home it through an o2 sensor code. i checked both with a multi meter and they were good to go. reset the ecu and nothing since.

the only thing the po had done himself within the last 5k miles that he owned it, was change a fuel filter. cold idle and hot idle have been consistent and normal. i can try cleaning the IACV just for the hell of it.

i'll check out the post you linked.
Old 05-09-2015

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Lol, I got off on a different thought pattern there. The recommended shift range is between 2000-3000 rpm. If I'm cruising at highway speed i will let it drop below 2000 but it's slugish until about 2500 rpm.

I generally up shift at 3000
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

right, i gotcha there. i mean i'm pulling down 36, 37 and 38.5 mpg on my last 3 tanks. it's being driven efficiently if nothing else. the miss is just annoying, if it's something mechanical i want to fix it.

i'm going to check out the basic's again. it needed a gromet on the shifter support rod and the car feels amazing now to drive. (whoever says that about a 98 civic haha).

i went from a 680 dollar truck payment to this car for efficiency and no payment. it's still well in the positives for me, i'm just very thorough at maintaining my stuff and haven't been able to crack this issue.
Old 05-09-2015

What's the mileage? If it's not throwing any codes I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
What's the mileage? If it's not throwing any codes I wouldn't be too concerned.
125k miles. had the timing belt and major service records all done at 99k.

it threw an o2 sensor code, then nothing since the day i got it. as i said, both sensor's checked out good too. i'll run it and see if anything gets better/worse. thank you