Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Are upstream and downstream o2 sensors the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KillerX is an unknown quantity at this point
Are upstream and downstream o2 sensors the same?

Are they the same part, as in are they interchangeable?

I purchased this from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Upstream-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-For-Honda-Acura-Civic-CRV-CR-V-AM-32232736-SG336-/251743526942?fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item3a9d15601e&vxp=mtr
But cant find one for downstream so I'm wondering if they are the same. The same user sells 2 for 30 as well but the same part number (donno why you'd need 2 unless its for up and down)

I just came from etest and I got p0135 and P0141 codes (weird because I scanned the car a week ago and wasn't there)

Thanks guys. I just bought this car for a highway hog and am really enjoying it.
Old 05-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Are upstream and downstream o2 sensors the same?

Originally Posted by KillerX
Are they the same part, as in are they interchangeable?
No they are not interchangeable. They have different part numbers. Best thing to do is to get the number off of the old one and do a parts search that way (if its a Denso or NTK sensor).

I purchased this from ebay
That's to bad! Throw it away and buy a Denso or NTK sensor. Those cheap ones are junk and probably wont fix your code problem.

What car do you have?

Last edited by GolNat; 05-01-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2015
Registered!!

I have a 1998 honda civic dx 1.6...canadian tire and part source wanted $99 for the upstream And 99 for the down... I refuse to pay that.

Where can I find quality ones?
Old 05-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by KillerX
I refuse to pay that.
That's how much a quality one cost. Were they Denso or NTK sensors? These are the 2 brands that are the best for Honda's and in my opinion the only option.

What's $99 spread over a year, $8.25 a month.

Last edited by GolNat; 05-04-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: New math
Old 05-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Both sensors don't normally go bad at exactly the same time.

Check fuse #15 in the dash fusebox, see if it is blown.
Due to wire harness short.
And may have several other codes set for items that share the same blown fuse. ELD, VSS, EVAP, and the alternator may not charge.

Then you can put your original sensors back in, they are probably still better than ebay cheapos
Old 05-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
That's how much a quality one cost. Were they Denso or NTK sensors? These are the 2 brands that are the best for Honda's and in my opinion the only option.

What's $99 spread over a year, $8.25 a year.

haha true, I only spent $500 on this car and it needs a bit of work, no rust (the previous owners oiled it every year) and its a DX (I dont think people like the DX due to being lowest class)... I'm really not looking to turn around and sell it but I don't want it being a money pit either. I only purchased this to go on the highway and save gas (which its unbelievable at!)

Originally Posted by ezone
Both sensors don't normally go bad at exactly the same time.

Check fuse #15 in the dash fusebox, see if it is blown.
Due to wire harness short.
And may have several other codes set for items that share the same blown fuse. ELD, VSS, EVAP, and the alternator may not charge.

Then you can put your original sensors back in, they are probably still better than ebay cheapos

Ha ha kk thanks I'm deff going to check this out.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I actually really like the car and enjoy driving it, just gotta pass etest hahaha

B
Old 04-09-2017
Registered!!

salmanzahan is an unknown quantity at this point

well, i got a Civic EK3 1999. had D15Z4 which i swapped by D17A Vtec.
the problem is, i did not get any O2 Sensor with my engine. and as its my first honda, i am not sure what or which sensors will work with my engine.

as i need two O2 sensors, upstream and downstream, can anyone help me on it by suggesting the right information,please?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmanzahan
well, i got a Civic EK3 1999. had D15Z4 which i swapped by D17A Vtec.
the problem is, i did not get any O2 Sensor with my engine. and as its my first honda, i am not sure what or which sensors will work with my engine.

as i need two O2 sensors, upstream and downstream, can anyone help me on it by suggesting the right information,please?

thanks in advance.
Sensors TYPE need to match the ECM being used

Sensor WIRING plug should match the harness used

If using 1999 EK3 ECM and harness you will need sensors for 1999