Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P1298 & p1509

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tattedlariat is an unknown quantity at this point
P1298 & p1509

So i was driving today, threw these 2 codes. Car wont idle with a/c on. Leads me to believe its the IAC. Well, the P1509. Pulled it off to clean it, and ended up stripping the screws. Whoops. I'll be getting a new one tomorrow or the next day hopefully.

BUT! The p1298 is the one that scares me. Guy at autozone says its probably a bad ECU, but after some research it shows that the ELD could be bad.

Should i replace the ELD first, and is it possible to just replace the ELD? Because i can't find one online, i'm not sure where to go from here.
Old 04-14-2015
Registered!!

Re: P1298 & p1509

And does the standard transmission have an ELD?

I'm so lost lol
Old 04-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The p1298 is the one that scares me.
First I'd erase the code and see if it returns.

Then get the service manual and follow the troubleshooting info for this code.

Kinda odd to see the code on a 6th gen car. 7th gen had a ton of bad ones.
And does the standard transmission have an ELD?
No, none of the transmissions have ELD.

The ELD is in the underhood fuse box.

Car wont idle with a/c on. Leads me to believe its the IAC.
If this has the IAC bolted to the back of the intake manifold, the screen gets clogged with carbon buildup and causes low idle speed.

Except you have the code below....

Well, the P1509.
That's supposed to be a circuit code (electrical). I'd ohm test the valve first, then do wiring checks as per the service manual.
Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

Well, I cleaned the IAC. Not much better. Long as i don't run the a/c i don't have many issues.

However, occasionally, i'll be driving down the road and it'll die. Starts up after a key turn or two.

Think it may be the IAC or? I'm lost.. And not ready to throw it in the shop quite yet.
Old 04-20-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Just a couple thoughts.

Maybe try taking the AC (loosen) belt off and see if the compressor pulley spins freely.

I did some reading on ELD when you first posted...I have no first hand experience but seems if you need to replace it you'll have to replace the entire fuse box. Some car stereo guys messed with ELD because it was throttling alternator amps for the car. Did it have a big system in it that you're aware of? Fuse 15 was also mentioned...I'd have to look again as to why but it doesn't take much time to check a fuse.

My last though would be main fuel relay after checking the above. Do some reading on that one ...common issue for 6th gens. Pretty much a free fix if you have any solder skill at all.

HTH
Old 04-20-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tattedlariat
Well, I cleaned the IAC. Not much better.
Still have the IAC circuit code?
However, occasionally, i'll be driving down the road and it'll die.
Take inventory of what quits and what is still working.
Does the dash go dead (gauges and warning lights all dead) as though someone turned the key off?

Does the tach drop to zero yet all other gauges keep working?