Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic HX 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackbreed is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic HX 5speed

Hey Guys,

I have a 98 honda civic HX with about 180k on it. Recently whenever I start the car it idles rough and will sometimes misfire until it gets up to temperature. Once it reaches it's normal temp it runs absolutely fine without any issues.

I do have a few engine codes:
P1259: Vtec Solenoid issue
P302: Cyl 2 misfire detected
P303: Cly 3 misfire detected
P300: Misfires detected

My coolant is a bit low, but I don't believe that it is leaking. I changed my oil 500 miles ago, and the oil color is not milky at all.

I replaced my spark plugs and wires about 1 year and a half ago, and was thinking that this issue may be related to the distributor cap?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 Civic HX 5speed

Originally Posted by Jackbreed
P1259: Vtec Solenoid issue
Did you know you can remove and clean it? Brake cleaner should do the trick. It's pretty easy: http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...-video.215914/

My coolant is a bit low, but I don't believe that it is leaking. I changed my oil 500 miles ago, and the oil color is not milky at all.
By all means, make it not low!

I replaced my spark plugs and wires about 1 year and a half ago, and was thinking that this issue may be related to the distributor cap?
What brand? How are they looking? Are they gapped correctly and tightened to specification?
Old 04-12-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If you did not replace the cap and rotor then I would replace them. Those get replaced along with the plugs and wires. This may clear up your codes.

Spark plug gap is important make sure that is correct.
Old 04-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackbreed is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced the spark plugs with Iridiums, and cleaned out the VTEC Solenoid with the brake cleaner and it did the trick! I will be replacing the Cap & rotor shortly. Thanks guys!
Old 04-13-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Hth