Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC/Heat Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DamnYank is an unknown quantity at this point
AC/Heat Problems

I have a 2006 Honda Civic and the AC/Heat has not been working since June of last year. I have had enough and want it fixed! The initial issue was that it was not cooling, so I thought it just needed freon. The mechanic said it needed a new compressor. The new compressor was put in, and the AC works great while the car is in park, for driving around short distances in town and for about 50 miles while on the highway. After that the blower is still blowing but nothing is coming out of the vents. I took it back to the mechanic, they replaced the new compressor with ANOTHER new compressor. To them it works fine because in the immediate area it does! However, I STILL have the same problem. I went on-line and there was a thread that 'kind of' had the same symptoms listed and said it was a common relay issue with the 2005 and 2006 models, so I had the relay replaced (a specific manufacturer because the thread stated that may be the issue too). They did that for free. So, here we are today, new compressor, new relay...and I STILL have the same problem!! Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC/Heat Problems

After that the blower is still blowing but nothing is coming out of the vents.
Is this saying that dash vent airflow stops even though the interior fan is still heard to be running on full blast?
All cabin air flow stops?

Or you still have air flow but it's no longer cold?

Does the compressor cycle on and off, or keep on running constantly?

Got a good digital thermometer?

Last edited by ezone; 03-18-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DamnYank is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes fan is still running (can hear it) but air flow dwindles down to none.

How can I tell if compressor is cycling while going down the highway? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 03-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DamnYank
Yes fan is still running (can hear it) but air flow dwindles down to none.
Ok then my theory is that the evaporator core has frozen into a huge ice cube, blocking air flow.

Let the car sit for an hour, you find a gallon of water has dumped on the ground and the AC works again for another half hour.

How can I tell if compressor is cycling while going down the highway? Pardon my ignorance.
Hard to tell while driving. I can usually tell by feel (small jerk as it engages), but if it stops cycling I usually can't tell if it is on or off.

Pull over and look/listen. Do you know what the compressor looks like when it's running vs not running? (clutch hub spinning or not)

If it's still cycling regularly, then I'd suspect a AC thermostat problem allowing the evaporator core temp to get too low, it should cycle the compressor OFF before it drops to freezing temp.

If it's not cycling and the compressor is stuck on, that's gonna take some more investigation since you already replaced the relay (assuming you picked the correct relay location in the box). Could be a control panel problem, I've been reading about more and more as they get some age on them.
Could be other stuff too, there can be a lot of control units involved.

HTH