Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intermittent Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civlxbro should not be trusted
Intermittent Power Loss

What's going on everyone,

So here's what's up. I go to get in my car the other morning and it's dead as can be. No dash lights, dome lights are on though. I here tapping when I turn the like it's trying to catch, then eventually no tapping. I keep trying, eventually it catches and car fires up strong as can be. Run an errand. Shut the car down. Go to start up and dead as can be. Need to get a jump, fires right up and strong as can be.

Bring car home, leave over night, go to take out in the morning, dead as can be. I check the battery, terminals clean as can be, reads about 75% life only 2 years old. Mechanic tells me probably no doubt about it need a new starter.

I get it towed to his shop. He changes the starter and the ground cable. Shows me the ground cable (which I have) and blah blah then I'm out the door. Why am I getting the feeling I got schemed and it was just the ground cable that needed replacing and not the starter. How would I know if he also changed the starter other than taking his word? I didn't see the old starter or box, just have the old ground cable.
Old 03-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: Intermittent Power Loss

Tell us about your car, model, year, miles. Follow the ground cable to its termination point and compare its condition to the old one he gave you. Jack up the car, use safety jacks and crawl under your car, the starter should be one of the cleanest components under your hood.
Old 03-14-2015
Registered!!

civlxbro should not be trusted

Good call. A quick look should suffice. I appreciate the reply 06 ex mild mods

99 civic lx 172k - runs like a champ - very minor fixes throughout its life - bought brand new back in 99.
Old 03-19-2015
Registered!!

oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civlxbro
Good call. A quick look should suffice. I appreciate the reply 06 ex mild mods

99 civic lx 172k - runs like a champ - very minor fixes throughout its life - bought brand new back in 99.
I know on my 96, the battery cables that go to the starter/alternator were gone, rusted and corroded. After 16 years for your car, wouldn't surprise me that the cables need to be replaced. On mine they were 18 years old when they began to show problems.