Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problem with manual door lock/key 2008 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem with manual door lock/key 2008 Civic

I have a 2008 Civic DX, 4-door, with a manual key entry system. Lately the key is very difficult to get into the slot on the driver's door, and if it does happen to go in it may not turn at all. On all other locks, the keys work fine. I've tried graphite, oil, and WD40 to loosen it up, but no luck.

The dealer tells me this happens often (!?), and that they can fix this for about $275 by putting in a new lock.

Does anybody have any advice - is there a repair the owner can try on their own? Related to this, how does one get the inside door panel off?

Thanks.

Last edited by rhvic; 03-13-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem with manual door lock/key 2008 Civic

If at all possible (it's not always possible), instead of replacing a cylinder with new keys, I think it's preferable to rebuild the original cylinder with new tumblers so you can still use the original keys. If replacement is needed, the new lock should still be retumbled to you can use the original keys IMO. Kinda hard to know what it's gonna need until it's taken apart and evaluated. Can't do that over the phone.

The price is the price. Sometimes locks can be a real PITA and well worth paying someone to not break a bunch of stuff getting it apart.

is there a repair the owner can try on their own?
To save on labor cost: Extract your bad lock cylinder yourself, carry it in to the dealer and have them rebuild it ?

Take it apart and remove just the offending tumbler(s)?

Ask local locksmith shops? (In my town, the dealer is the only one that can do these locks and keys.)