Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hard Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atlanta4046 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard Clutch Pedal

I just replaced my clutch and slave master cylinder for my 2000 Civic DX after my clutch pedal stayed on the floor and was leaking at the inside fire wall.

After installing with oem parts and bleeding, the pedal now has pressure but now the pedal is so hard that it is very had to press down and now makes sound when I press down on the clutch. It does not make sounds when it springs up. I can drive and change gears but it takes a lot of force to push the pedal down. Did I bleed the system fully or maybe I did not install the slave cylinder fully in the boot. Any suggestion before I take everything apart again? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hard Clutch Pedal

What clutch did you install? Almost anything stronger than original will result in a stiffer pedal.
Old 01-25-2015
Registered!!

I ordered the Clutch master cylinder and Slave from Majestic Honda. It had Nissin on the part. Supposed to be oem.
Old 01-25-2015
Registered!!

Also, I only replaced the Master Cylinder and Slave. Not the actual clutch. Thanks
Old 01-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlanta4046
Also, I only replaced the Master Cylinder and Slave. Not the actual clutch. Thanks
Weird, that's usually why most people end up with a really stiff clutch pedal.

But its hard to describe a feel, right?

Have you compared to another similar (stock) car?
Did your old hydraulic setup have an unusually soft pedal due to leaks?

There's only one adjustment, that's the clevis and pushrod at the pedal and it needs to have just a little bit of clearance.
Most everything else should just kinda fall into the right places as you assemble it.
Bleeding is straightforward, if there's still air in it the pedal would feel low, engagement and release come at a low pedal position..

If the clutch disc is worn, the pedal can feel 'high', engagement and release come at unusually high pedal position.