Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Lost power on freeway, cranks but nothing else

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RegularGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Lost power on freeway, cranks but nothing else

Hi all, I have a 99 Civic EX that died on the freeway coming home from work. I can't remember if I lost electrical at that time, but engine power for sure.

I can currently turn the electrical system on, no OBD codes, and when I turn the key it sounds like its cranking something steadily and with plenty power, but nothing else happens.

So far I have charged the battery, and changed out the distributor. The car sounds the exact same as it did the day the problem occurred. I wasn't sure I had the original distributor orientation correct so I switched it back and forth once or twice, still the same cranking sound.

I'm by no means a mechanic, but if I had to make a guess I'd say fuel pump or spark plug, but maybe not spark plug because I think the engine would start just a little if that were the case.

Thanks a ton guys, I need to get back to work!
Old 12-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Lost power on freeway, cranks but nothing else

it sounds like your timing belt has snapped,

does it sound like its cranking alot faster then it normally does?

yes = timing belt

remove your oil filler cap, have somebody crank the engine while you look into the oil filler cap with a flashlight, while the engine is cranking you should see movement in there and some oil splashing around,

if you see no movement at all = timing belt
Old 12-19-2014
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Engine is interference type, so isn't it a no-no to crank when you have a suspected or confirmed broken timing belt?
Old 12-19-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't crank it any more.. you need to remove the valve cover and timing belt cover and see if the timing belt is intact. I'd personally check for spark and fuel first but these cars are notorious for dying due to snapped belt (and running through absolutely everything else). Any check engine lights?
Old 12-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old97civic
Engine is interference type, so isn't it a no-no to crank when you have a suspected or confirmed broken timing belt?
if the timing belt snapped while he was driving the damage has already been done, cranking the engine now will not cause any more damage

Last edited by mikey1; 12-19-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2014
Registered!!

The engine sounds like it's struggling to try hard with no luck, a higher pitched wailing sound (2-tone high-low).

Honestly I can't tell the difference in speed of the cranking compared from before to now, it sounds about the same except it just won't start.

I can't check the flashlight in the oil cap (while starting) for now since my wife won't be home from work for a few more hours.

The only lights on are oil and battery, though like I said before the battery seems pretty strong judging by the strength of the crank.

I think I'll check out under the valve cover for now, though the last time I worked on a Civic myself was around 2002 in high school on my b16 type-r.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'll post another update soon enough.
Old 12-19-2014
Registered!!

I got the valve cover off, I can't remember if the timing belt is supposed to be tight or not, when I poke the belt it seems a little loose. Now I need to figure out how to access the belt.
Old 12-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait til the spouse gets home, have her crank it for you.

Or get one of the neighbors, offer a beer for their time LOL

Or maybe mark the cam pulley with a sharpie, then crank it, then see if the mark moved. If it didn't move, it's toast.
Old 12-20-2014
Registered!!

Alright so I cranked it while looking with a flashlight into the oil cap, no movement. I also marked the sprocket, belt, and reference point on the cover and it didn't move a bit. I guess it was the timing belt after all. Thanks guys!
Old 12-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Bent valves? Plan accordingly.

$$$$.$$

You already have the valve cover off.....Look for any rockers that have a whole lot of clearance.
Every quarter turn of the cam gear is a different cylinder.