Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic si codes idles high 1200-1300

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ek98si is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic si codes idles high 1200-1300

Hello all, i bought a 98 civic si , automatic, D16Y8 it has been sitting for a year an a half.

when i brought it home the car needed work, which i knew.

i did the fuel line, Alternator, and brakes first, Then went to the engine.

Now the engine light was on when i got it , AND the speedo did not work.

So when i scanned it with the code reader it had said, random misfires, o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1.

So i put new ngk wires and ngk spark plugs. Misfire GONE. perfect.

now i changed the upstream o2 sensor. bank 1 sensor 1.
i erased the code.
10 seconds after running the engine light come on.

First code - bank 1 sensor 1,
second code - vehicle speed sensor A range / performance
third code - bank 1 sensor 2.

SO i changed the speed sensor on the automatic transmission, i changed the one on the back of the tranny on top, with the gear on it.

Speedo still does not work, same codes are up.

im lost what to do ? one person told me to clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor but civic dont have those.....

tomorrow i am changing the grounds on the front of the engine and tranny. They are a little green.

Maybe clean the IAC ? and MAP ? it idles at 1200 - 1300. BUT BUT if i erase the codes for about 5 - 10 seconds it runs perfect at 800 - 850 rpms.

any ideas ? im lost ? i dont think the ECM is fried...
Old 09-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 civic si codes idles high 1200-1300

Obtain a service manual.

Pick a fault code. Use the manual to troubleshoot that code.
Pick another fault code, troubleshoot that code.
Continue until problems are gone.

Oh....Check the fuses. All of them. Both fuseboxes.
You didn't bother to tell exactly what the codes were, but there are certain groups of codes that can be set when a certain fuse is blown, along with the alternator not charging.
If you find a blown fuse that solves some or all of the codes, plan for it to blow again right away and plan on fixing some wiring.

And if you bought a cheapo oxygen sensor, go ahead and plan on getting an NTK or DENSO instead.
Old 09-25-2014
Registered!!

i dont buy cheapo parts, the new o2 sensor is an NTK.

1st code is PO135

for the 2nd , 3rd ill have to scan when i get home from work.
i am going to check all the fuses for sure. the alternator is charging. the old alternator was siezed thats why i had to change it.
Old 09-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

At work now, found the bulletin.....I was mistaken about the alt would not charging, the bulletin says ELD code instead...

P0135
P0141
P0501
P1298
may all be related to a blown fuse #15 in the engine compartment fusebox.

Bulletin link:http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x99-029e.pdf
Old 09-29-2014
Registered!!

thanks for the info, what i did with the SI was, i took all the electrical plugs i could find and disconnected them cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner, i put 2 brand new grounds, i went throught every single fuse on the car and relays, i found ONE bad fuse under the dash a 7.5amp one.

The car runs like a champ and all engine lights are gone !!

only thing with it now is you take it for a drive when you stop and put it into park. it idles are like 1000 - 1200. when i give it a small shot of gas the idle goes right back down to 700-800.

im thinking the IAC might need a cleaning. The map sensor seems good. going to clean the throttle body. im hoping the TPS is ok lol i hate drilling those rivets out to put new TPS in lol
Old 10-18-2014
Registered!!

AWDSYCO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ek98si
thanks for the info, what i did with the SI was, i took all the electrical plugs i could find and disconnected them cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner, i put 2 brand new grounds, i went throught every single fuse on the car and relays, i found ONE bad fuse under the dash a 7.5amp one.

The car runs like a champ and all engine lights are gone !!

only thing with it now is you take it for a drive when you stop and put it into park. it idles are like 1000 - 1200. when i give it a small shot of gas the idle goes right back down to 700-800.

im thinking the IAC might need a cleaning. The map sensor seems good. going to clean the throttle body. im hoping the TPS is ok lol i hate drilling those rivets out to put new TPS in lol
Can you elaborate 7.5A fuse location/name/usage under dash fuse box?
Old 10-21-2014
Registered!!

well i fixed this problem, i posted a new thread. with a different problem lol , Which is the LAST one im having