Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic wont start, brand new starter

Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zotis777 is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic wont start, brand new starter

I'll start off by saying im new here, but not to cars, or forums (i regular on thumpertalk), i work on them a lot. I was recently given a 99 civic lx by my girlfriends dad, its the 5 speed. The bottom bolt that holds the alternator on it stuck and the alternator is seized. but thats not my problem

im trying to get it out of their driveway so i just wanna get it running then drive it the 15 minutes to my house without the alternator and fix it at my garage with my tools (her dad has no garage or tools)

sothe other day i charged the battery and went to go start it, i got a rapid clicking from the solenoid, sooooo i got a new starter

put that on, and then i charged the battery again and went to go start it, i get a humm from what seems like the front right air vent, and the little red light on the dash doesnt turn off, i dont know what either mean.

I had someone try and start it from in the car, in the fuse panel in the top left near the A/C i get a relay that clicks, and ocaisionally the solenoid will click once, but the car wont turn over, and i cant figure out why

Im hoping its just a fuse/relay, but i dont know which one, and the car has been sitting on yellow ramps for a while, i dont know if the oil sensors up front and all the oil dripped to the back and now it think there is none, i got no clue what this car is doing. If anybody needs any further questions answered on what the car is doing, or has any ideas whats wrong, i need help to get this thing gone asap

All help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 civic wont start, brand new starter

Use a jumper wire to run the starter manually. Make sure it's in neutral, don't get run over on my account!

Hell, push start it.
Get it home, then figure out why it won't start on its own.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

ill try it, im just confused as to why it buzzes, i hear the fuel pump, but it wont turn over. and when doing that, if i use one of the adjustable chargers how would i do that? put it on "80A jump" and put the terminals on the starter? actually it has a bunch of amperage settings, how much am i putting thorugh the starter? or could i use the turn the key on and cross the starter terminals with a screwdirver method?

i hate to be a bother, but i only got the batter up to 45%, if i get it to 100% charge how long will it run with no alternator?
Old 04-03-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

why it buzzes
Usual cause is insufficient power at the starter. Could be many things. Battery first.... connections next.
Voltmeter, diagnose!

Try a fresh hot fully charged battery?
Jumper cables and a running car?
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

okay ill try jumping it, and charging the battery more. The buzz wasnt coming from the starter, like i said from the front left, right behind that air vent?
Old 04-03-2014

Originally Posted by zotis777
like i said from the front left, right behind that air vent?
Oh, sorry. Hell, I couldn't tell you from here, I'd have to see it in person.

See below.

and the little red light on the dash doesnt turn off, i dont know what either mean.
Alarm. Starter locked out due to alarm? Got the manual for that?

LED for the dealer installed accessory security system was supposed to be stuck right in the center of the top steering column cover.
Aftermarket alarm may have the LED stuck almost anywhere else BUT there.
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Alarm. Starter locked out due to alarm? Got the manual for that?

LED for the dealer installed accessory security system was supposed to be stuck right in the center of the top steering column cover.
Aftermarket alarm may have the LED stuck almost anywhere else BUT there.
The alarm lights on the dash? and if it locked the starter, how do i clear the alarm? no manual way of clearing it, i dont see why it would even be on, noone tried to break into the car, or even try and open it while its locked......
Old 04-03-2014

The alarm lights on the dash? and if it locked the starter, how do i clear the alarm? no manual way of clearing it, i dont see why it would even be on, noone tried to break into the car, or even try and open it while its locked......

You're asking questions I can't answer.
You have the car, not me or anyone else here.

I'm just tossing ideas out.
It's up to you to figure out if and how you can use those ideas.

and the little red light on the dash doesnt turn off, i dont know what either mean.
Suggestion:
Figure out what the red light is and what it means.
Figure out if that is related to the starter problem.
Figure out why the starter won't crank the engine, if that's what is wrong.

A service manual, a wiring diagram, and a test light and voltmeter would be at the top of my list.

HTH
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

\

A service manual, a wiring diagram, and a test light and voltmeter would be at the top of my list.

HTH

looks like im going to have to get a hold o those and decode this damn machine myself lol, thank your for the help, ill be sure to report what i find
Old 04-16-2014
Registered!!

got a new battery in, still no luck, are there any fuses/relays what will keep it from starting? because its definetly an electrical problem
Old 04-16-2014

Yup, there's a lot of electrical stuff that can keep it from starting.
Old 04-17-2014
Registered!!

Yup, there's a lot of electrical stuff that can keep it from starting.
ive been looking it up, im going to go check the clutch interlock switch i think its called, as well as whatever the relay is near it, starter cutoff relay or something, try replacing that, all the lights turn on and everything, it just wont crank
Old 04-17-2014

A wire diagram, a $20 voltmeter or a $5 test light -- and some serious thinking -- could save a lot of coin.

Did the rubber bumper come off of the clutch pedal tab? That would prohibit the starter interlock switch from working.
Old 04-18-2014
Registered!!

A wire diagram, a $20 voltmeter or a $5 test light -- and some serious thinking -- could save a lot of coin.

Did the rubber bumper come off of the clutch pedal tab? That would prohibit the starter interlock switch from working.

idk where the i would get the wire diagram, but i have the other 2 and am going to get at it, and im not sure, im going to look at it today, it sucks because i have to fix this problem before i can get it to my house and use my tools to fix the other problems
Old 04-18-2014

There's this cool new thing called Google....

This might be for your car, then again maybe not.
Old 04-19-2014
Registered!!

There's this cool new thing called Google....

This might be for your car, then again maybe not.

yeah i saw that, i didnt know if it was for my car so i was refraining and will probably buy a manual.

i ruled out the clutch interlock, theres a click when the clutch is depressed and no click without, im gonna go scour the internet for the fuse box diagram, because i have no idea which fuse is which under the dash, somebody took the cover for the fuses off. idk if it had the diagram of which fuse is which, and wont until i find it haha.

would the manual be available as a pdf online anywhere? hooray google
Old 04-19-2014

i didnt know if it was for my car
It's close enough for government work.

i have no idea which fuse is which under the dash,
Doesn't really matter. The starter signal fuse 31 shown in the dash fuse box cannot disable the starter operation even if it were blown.

i ruled out the clutch interlock, theres a click when the clutch is depressed and no click without,
Next step might be to test at the starter cut relay.
Old 04-21-2014
Registered!!

It's close enough for government work.

Doesn't really matter. The starter signal fuse 31 shown in the dash fuse box cannot disable the starter operation even if it were blown.

Next step might be to test at the starter cut relay.

which relay is that? and also yesterday i turned the ignition on and crossed the terminals at the starter and the starter spun, but didnt turn over the motor. ike the starter was turning, and the flywheel wasnt, i took it off and all the gears on the flywheel were fine, any way my new starter was just defective?
Old 04-21-2014

which relay is that?
Refer to the wiring diagram.

any way my new starter was just defective?
Could be.
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

Refer to the wiring diagram.

Could be.

gone through and tested everything but the ELD it sems, if the eld was bad would it give me the symptoms im getting?
Old 04-27-2014

gone through and tested everything but the ELD it sems, if the eld was bad would it give me the symptoms im getting?
Nope.
ELD has nothing to do with starter engagement.
Old 05-01-2014
Registered!!

Nope.
ELD has nothing to do with starter engagement.
damn. looks im im double-checking everything in that diagram then