Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'97 Civic, Oil Leak Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbo is an unknown quantity at this point
'97 Civic, Oil Leak Issue

Working on stopping a variety of leaks in my beloved '97 Civic EX. Thought I had it done when I replaced the valve cover gasket and the O rings on the distributor and V-Tech valve. That was only a part of the problem, (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...questions.html) apparently, as the top of the engine is now dry but I'm still seeing drips under the car. Visited a mechanic who said the lower timing belt cover is loose and oil is leaking from the lower timing belt area. Quoted $500 to fix the leak and replace the water pump and timing belt. Sounds expensive to me . The original water pump and timing belt are on the car and so it is well overdue to have both replaced. But $500 is over the top, in my opinion. Am I wrong? And where would an oil leak be originating from in that area?
As always, many thanks for your help!
Old 02-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '97 Civic, Oil Leak Issue

Originally Posted by Carbo
Visited a mechanic
Would he be the same mechanic as before:
Originally Posted by Carbo
Funny, I asked the tech if there was a gasket of some kind for the distributor and he assured me there wasn't and that it needed replacing.
????

who said the lower timing belt cover is loose and oil is leaking from the lower timing belt area. Quoted $500 to fix the leak and replace the water pump and timing belt.
Ok.

Sounds expensive to me . ....

..... But $500 is over the top, in my opinion. Am I wrong?
If you can't do the work, you pay to have someone else do it for you.
Price is very reasonable for a shop IMO. I'd insist that OE parts are used if I cared about the car.
The original water pump and timing belt are on the car and so it is well overdue to have both replaced.
Holy crap. You will be paying a whole lot more if that belt lets go.

And where would an oil leak be originating from in that area?
Front camshaft seal and/or front crankshaft seal (may be called oil pump front seal). Maybe more, but those are the typical leak areas.
Nobody can see anything in the timing area until the timing covers are off.

HTH