Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

gas pedal doesn't work

Old 01-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eric805x is an unknown quantity at this point
gas pedal doesn't work

Okay so this is what happened. I had a gas pedal that would stick after a while of not using it. It was annoying to me because I couldn't press the gas pedal without having to gently put my foot down to prevent the car from taking off too fast. Of course this wasn't a major issue but I wanted to try and fix it so I did some research and found that tightening the throttle cable would stop this problem. So I did that and pushed down on my gas pedal but found that it was really easy to push down. I turned the car on and put it in drive but when I pressed my gas pedal nothing happened. Even if I press it all the way down. So I'm not sure what I did wrong or if I damaged the throttle cable so if someone could help me I would really appreciate it.
PS Im not sure if the throttle cable was ripped before but there is a tear in it like in the picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140122_173512.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	86302  
Old 01-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: gas pedal doesn't work

LOOK at what you did and see if you can figure out why it stopped working.
Whatever you did, undo it.
Put it back the way it was.

Clean the throttle body and blade. The black carbon goo buildup is what causes the gas pedal to stick.