Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please help me fix my car #3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pbylina is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help me fix my car #3

Hi. Unfortunately my car is giving me problems again. I have a 2000 honda civic EX. The problem is that the car starts and runs, then when I turn it off and try starting it, it won't start. For example, I went to the store the other day, when I came back to my car after about 15 minutes of shopping, the car wouldn't start. I got picked up by my dad and we went home and called the insurance so they can get the towing guy. About an hour later we went back to the car that was sitting in the parking lot to wait for the tow truck driver. I thought that I would try starting it for the hell of it and it started. So I replaced the fuel filter. Then I drove the car around the block a couple of times and parked the car. I turned it off and tried starting it and again, it doesn't want to start. You have to wait some time. So then I did some googling and came to the conclusion that it was the engine cooling temperature sensor. I replaced that and it didn't fix it either. So before I buy another thing I want to ask an expert. I was wondering, because my exhaust system is broken at the catalytic converter connection(not sure if before or after) and smoke is coming out of it - could this have something to do with it? Also had some codes P0118, P1381, P0420. When the car wouldn't try to start I then erased the codes and it started. Also, just now I tried starting it and it kinda sounded like a lawn mower when you don't have the choke on the right setting(its slow puf puf) then you adjust the choke and it goes faster. But what I did is tried giving it throttle and it stalled...If someone could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please help me fix my car #3

Erase codes.
See what comes back right away.

P0118.
Which coolant temp sensor did you replace?
There are 2.
Did you replace the correct one? Is it plugged in?

P1381
CYP sensor, inside the distributor. Intermittent signal interruption.
Could be the sensor, could be the coil shield, could be coil.

P0420 is a cat.