Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Civic Coupe Power Door Lock

Old 10-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burleyman14 is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Civic Coupe Power Door Lock

Good Morning.

I just replaced the driver side door actuator last month and it worked great until today. Now, I cannot lock the door with the key or manually using the lock tab. The actuator does not even click or make any sort of noise when I hit the key fob. Seems like an electrical problem, but I'm not sure where to start. Also, it seems strange that I cannot manually lock the door with the key or interior lock tab... BTW, the passenger side door lock works fine using all methods to lock...

Thanks
Old 10-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1999 Civic Coupe Power Door Lock

I cannot manually lock the door with the key or interior lock tab
This makes it an apparent mechanical issue. Do these work when the door is closed?

Does the door close all the way, or is the latch only in the half-shut position?
Old 10-29-2013
Registered!!

Open or closed, it doesn't matter, I cannot lock the door. Door closes fine and the latch is in the full open position. The actuator is not even attempting to lock or unlock the door, it's not making any sound what so ever...
Old 10-29-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, everything probably originates at the latch. If you can't manually get it to lock/unlock, the actuator probably can't make it work either.

The latch must be fully closed (both detents) OR either inner or outer handle be pulled in order for the lock mechanism to move.

If it doesn't work by either method, I'd probably be pulling the latch out of the door and pulling the actuator off of it to see what is going on.

HTH
Old 10-29-2013

I guess I should mention those cars can have wiring issues that typically involve broken wiring in the door jamb/door connector........

But your problem sounds primarily mechanical not electrical IMO.
Old 10-30-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid pulling everything apart again, but that's where I'll start. Thanks again...