Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I broke the A/C on a 99 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet.giorni is an unknown quantity at this point
I broke the A/C on a 99 Civic LX

First of all, i'd like to say that when I'm working on cars, I don't make very smart decisions, so please go easy on my lack of common sense.

Well, my AC wasn't t blowing quite as cold as it used to, so I went and got a can of r134a and pulled out my plastic manifold. I hooked it up and started the car. I noticed that the compressor was turning off every 15 seconds or so, and I thought it would charge faster if it remained on, so I grabbed a paper clip and put it in to the compressor relay socket , but, being the genius I am, I put the paper clip into the wrong two holes. I saw a spark and ever since then, the only way to get the compressor to activate is to jump the relay.
Now I THINK I checked the right fuses, which all seem to be working fine. So, I would appreciate it very much if somebody could explain to me what I broke and how to fix it.
Old 10-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I broke the A/C on a 99 Civic LX

Engine compartment fusebox, fuse #56, 20A
Dash fusebox, fuse #17, 7.5A
Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

I went ahead and replaced those fuses with new ones with the store, but unfortunately they weren't the issue.
Old 10-26-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got a voltmeter? And do you know how to use it?

Generic relay socket.
Probing with a meter, engine running, ac on, you should see 2 terminals with 12v battery+ voltage, and 2 terminals with ground.

Terminals 1 and 2 should show power and ground when tested with a voltmeter, key on. One comes from a fuse, the other goes to the clutch field coil. (doesn't really matter which has what, just that both are present. Same for the other terminals below)

On 3 and 4, one should show battery power (key on) from the dash fusebox, and the other is a switched ground that comes from the PCM.

The PCM only supplies that ground when the AC compressor is supposed to be turned on.
The HVAC system must make a valid request to the PCM, then the PCM must choose to allow the AC clutch request to be enabled. The PCM can stop the compressor relay from turning on under various conditions, such as overheating or wide-open throttle operation.

A scantool that can give live engine data can tell you if the AC clutch request is made to the PCM, and can tell if the PCM is (or thinks it is) engaging the clutch relay.

If you shorted the PCM terminal to a power source, you could have smoked the PCM.
Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

I do have a voltmeter, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it. I set it to 9v and put one lead in to terminal 1 and the second into terminal 2, and did the same for the other two. Both times there was a reading. Is that good?
Old 10-26-2013

I set it to 9v
The car has a 12 volt battery and operates on up to 15 volts when running. What do you need to set your meter on to cover this range?

If you have your meter set on 9v and you test the 12v battery, what reading do you get?

put one lead in to terminal 1 and the second into terminal 2, and did the same for the other two. Both times there was a reading. Is that good?
"a" reading? That doesn't tell me squat.

What was the reading?
Old 10-26-2013

If you can, use a light bulb to see if the PCM can supply sufficient ground to operate a small load (the relay). (terminals 3 and 4)
Bend down the wires on the end of a #194 bulb (license light) to use as a test light, stick this in the terminals, then run the engine and AC to see if the light illuminates.

Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

Terminals 1 and 2 read 14.4, and terminals 3 and 4 read 9.1.
Old 10-26-2013

terminals 3 and 4 read 9.1.
That's bad. Was the AC turned on and engine running when you checked?

Lets check individual terminals now.

Do this:
engine running
AC ON

Meter black lead attached to the negative battery post.
Measure volts with the red meter lead at terminal 3 and then at 4. What are the two readings?

Now move the red meter lead to the positive battery post,
Take the black meter lead and repeat the above checks on terminals 3 and 4.
What are the two readings now?
Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

Sorry about the wait, I had to make a grocery run.

So, with the positive lead on the battery:
Terminal 3: 9.15
Terminal 4: .22
And negative on the battery :
3: 5
4: 13.8
Old 10-26-2013

So terminal 3 is a problem as I see it here.
If you had the engine running and AC turned on at the time of the checks, it appears that

You only have a partial ground circuit from the PCM to the relay.

This indicates to me that it probably toasted the output driver (output transistor can't handle more than about 1 amp load) for that relay control circuit inside the PCM.

I put the paper clip into the wrong two holes. I saw a spark and ever since then,
I assume you stuck your paper clip between terminals 3 and 4?
Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

I sure did!
Old 10-26-2013

I guess the next question will be what to do about it....

New, used, or send it in for repair?
Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

That depends on the price and if I can do it myself.
Old 10-26-2013

You are on your own now.

New, dealer. Online is probably cheaper.
Used, junkyard. car-part.com
Rebuild yours? Inquire with parts stores, many have programs where they send your computer in and get it repaired.

I wonder if aftermarket has these PCMs available?

Once you get it done, it should be plug and play.
No key programming since yours doesn't use immobilizer.

Kids, let this be a lesson: Paper clips are terrorist weapons!