Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk Torsion springs seem weak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mateikav is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk Torsion springs seem weak?

I bought my first civic just this past Spring (1999 Sedan SE) and the previous owner managed to shatter one of the two torsion springs. I just bought and installed a new torsion spring and the trunk lid did not perform as I expected.

Previously (with only one torsion spring), the trunk would not open on its own and I had to stick a broom pole between the lid and trunk floor to hold it up. Now (with two torsion springs), the trunk lid still won't open on its own, but it will bounce up a little and it will stay in place when fully open. I don't trust it, however, as it comes down easily with a bump.

Is this how the trunk lid is supposed to be? I've never had new cars, but my two previous vehicle's trunks opened on their own and you could trust the lids to not fall down. Could it be that the other torsion spring is fatigued from having to operate on its own (the previous own used it that way for a couple years)?

Note: I even set the springs into the higher-tension spots, which helps a little bit. I also switch the torsion springs around to see if that made a difference.
Old 10-18-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trunk Torsion springs seem weak?

None will open the lid all the way for you. They usually only pop a couple inches.

If you have a spoiler or wing on the lid, you might still be able to get the stronger springs to match, they would have supplied packaged with factory accessory spoilers.
Old 10-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mateikav is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trunk Torsion springs seem weak?

I was wondering if the lid would just be like that...

But, through a picture from another thread (I was just perusing the forum aimlessly) I found that I crossed over the springs wrong. Correcting them gave a little bit more strength on top of notching the springs into the high-tension setting.