Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Serious Frustration over VSS

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adamwilson84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Serious Frustration over VSS

Curious to know the part number for a Vehicle Speed Sensor for my 1996 Honda civic DX Engine: D16Y7 So far i thought I had the right part number was meant to be the right part number on two occasions

One occasion was well the mounting bracket was the correct length but was 5/16th in thickness as opposed to 9/16, the second occasion was well the mounting bracket was the right thickness 9/16 yet was too short to line up with the mounting screw hole.

So here I am, completely annoyed and frustrated in trying to find the correct part. And am hoping that some people here might be able to better assist me on this predicament.

Much appreciated

Adam
Old 10-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Frustration over VSS

Is this a US market car?
Please post your VIN (for parts catalog purposes)

What factory part numbers have you already tried?
Old 10-04-2013
Registered!!

THis is correct US Market

Vin: 1HGEJ6128TL059372

Hopefully I do-not get flamed for this however... The P/N's I did try was one from advancedautoshop which was number 1 and then turned my frustrations to ebay in the helpful world of last resort. Obviously the only thing I should of known was to trust my own gut feeling. But we all learn, I also did ask advanced auto and gave them all the information before purchasing and of course the go Yes it will fit. (NO)

The ebay item which I should get a full refund for regardless also went with asking all the information and got I thought was correct response yet to no avail. But anyway so all help is much appreciated

Thanks again
Old 10-05-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

DX
Coupe
US
5MT

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ASE+%28SOHC%29

Both are valid numbers....? Crap.
I see why there is confusion, but I don't think I can sort it out from where I sit.
(I do not claim to be a parts person.)

These are labeled:
#7, PN 78410-S04-901 (ALL)(DENSO) Appears from the pic that it will have the shorter arm?
#8, PN 78410-S04-902 (KR)(MATSUSHITA) Longer arm?

Can you look on your original sensor and find who made it?
Google for possible company logos?
Old 10-05-2013

Your first part was
the mounting bracket was the correct length but was 5/16th in thickness
Did it not fit? Not bolt down? Did you try installing it at all?
Old 10-05-2013

Digging thru only 1996 in the catalog, I see a total of 6 different possible sensors. 2 each for M/T, A/T, and CVT.

That's a lot of possible wrong choices.
Old 10-05-2013

If you go through a dealer, you might want to let them pick it out---- so if it is wrong, it's on them and not you.

Also, most places have a "no return" policy on electrical parts. Look into it before you buy. Take in your original and match it up at the counter before you take it home.
Old 10-05-2013
Registered!!

PN 78410-S04-901 that one def does not fit, I guess I may have to bite the bullet and check into the honda dealer to find out the correct part number :/ , I swear cars give us grey hairs over certain things. Ill keep you posted that way there will be atleast guidance for other fellow users to take note on too.

Thankyou Ezone
Old 10-06-2013
Registered!!

So after a grueling episode of frustration I went through and decided to the hell with it pull the thing out again. I took photos measurements and low and behold managed to JUST see the final 3 numbers on the sensor.... 902

However also taking not of the overall physics of the item to note how the style is set facing the mount. Which helped in getting a more perfect idea of what I am looking for. 78410-S04-902

Which mind you with such a part number one would think this task would be easy searching for an aftermarket replacement. NO. as it looks that the many sellers out there of this product seem not to know the differences between manual and automatic with the automatics being listed as manual's SO to all others out there looking for this please note that sellers are selling these ones with this part number listing them as fitting manual yet they do not. So be careful.

I did take full pictures which I will upload later to here so others can see what the true manual one looks like including dimensions. I have ordered the correct part which should be here in 4 days

Thanks once again