Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Key will not unlock steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hsk5260 is an unknown quantity at this point
Key will not unlock steering wheel

No matter how hard I manhandle the steering wheel, the key will just not move. I tried applying upwards/downwards pressure to the steering as well as moving it from side to side. My front wheels are straight and not turned in any direction.

The key is able to unlock both door locks and the trunk lock quite easily. So I am not sure whether this is a worn key or ignition lock or it could be both. Any suggestions would be really helpful before I call in someone who might end up fleecing me. Oh and I forgot, it is a 2000 Civic LX and is a manual transmission.
Old 10-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Key will not unlock steering wheel

If the steering wheel is not locked, then the lock (cylinder and tumblers) is probably the problem.

I'd tell you to remove the column lock from the steering column, and carry it into a lock shop and let them fix the cylinder and tumblers.

Getting the lock assembly off the column is a trick though. There are 2 tamper resistant bolts, they must be turned out with a center punch and hammer, then replaced with new in order to reattach it to the column. They are cheap though.
Old 10-11-2013
Registered!!

Ok I somehow got it to work with the help of a friend's advice. I moved the steering wheel left slowly and at the same time pulled the key towards me and tried to turn it. It opened after a few tries. My friend noticed that I sometimes tend to grab the steering wheel while coming out of the car. And that locks the steering wheel.

For now if I keep the steering straight without locking, I am able to push the key and turn it properly from LOCK (0) to the ACCESSORY (I) position. Now I am not so sure if this is a problem with the lock cylinder and keys or something is wrong with the steering lock mechanism.

It could also be normal but I have never had such a problem with any of the cars I have driven before.
Old 10-11-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

And that locks the steering wheel.
So the steering wheel was locked.....and your key issues were the direct result of that. At least you got that figured out. Yay.
It could also be normal but I have never had such a problem with any of the cars I have driven before.
Totally normal.

Most Hondas only lock the wheel in one position, and the wheel and tires can put a LOT of pressure against the lock mechanism.

OTOH, the typical, say a GM product, might lock their wheel in any of 20 places, so when one of those is locked there isn't a lot of pressure against the locking mechanism.

Honda even issued service info about it a long time ago.
Here's a copy of that

Can’t Turn Ignition Switch?
Check for Locked Steering
Got a service customer complaining he or she
can’t turn the ignition switch to start the engine?
The reason could just be the steering column lock
pin is engaged with the front wheels turned.
Here’s what typically happens:
Some folks use the steering wheel to help support
themselves while climbing in or out of the vehicle.
This is very common among elderly or disabled
drivers. Doing this turns the front wheels, which
twists the tires against the ground. The twisted
tires apply torque to the steering column. With the
ignition switch in LOCK (0), the steering column
lock pin is engaged. But the applied torque on the
steering column binds the lock pin, making it
tough to turn the ignition switch. The ignition
switch won’t turn to ON (II) if the lock pin isn’t
disengaged from the steering column.
Tell your customer there’s nothing wrong with the
ignition switch itself. All he or she needs to do is
turn the steering wheel from side to side while
turning the switch. This usually releases the lock
pin so the engine can be started. In some cases,
though, your customer may need to give a good
tug on the wheel. This could easily happen when
parking on a hill and the wheels are turned
sharply before the engine is shut off.

HTH
Old 10-20-2013
Registered!!

I finally got my problem figured out, hopefully it will buy me at least a few months time if I would need to have the key or cylinder replaced.

I noticed that my ignition lock tends to move about in its place. So I use the key to push it towards the dashboard which straightens it out I guess and then I can easily unlock the steering wheel no matter what position it is in.

By the way I had a question, is it possible to get a new key made for the current lock which I can then use on all other locks of my car. If I change the ignition lock cylinder then I will have a new set of keys with it which will not work with the other locks on the car. I believe my car uses old style keys which does not have any chip in it.
Old 10-20-2013

A dealer can cut you a fresh key by code (as long as the lock set is original to the car), instead of making a copy of a worn out key.

They need your VIN and some proof of ownership.

Call your dealer to verify this though.

A local lock shop might be able to do the same, call and ask.

Price? Probably comparable, but that may vary. Call and ask.
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

dtcalif is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife had the same problem with her 2013 Honda Civic. She parked and removed the key. After returning to the car and inserting the key in the column, she could not turn it. The steering was locked as normal. She also tried a spare key (which is nearly new from when we purchased the car) and that did not work. She did what hsk56520 advised (tried to turn the wheel to the left while simultaneously putting some pressure on the key TOWARD her and turning it. It unlocked! I guess we will see if Honda or a locksmith can check the column lock to see it is dirty or worn.
Old 08-10-2016
Registered!!

damianmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

you can pull it apart without the key. trust me.Never said it would go back together perfect or that you wouldn't need any new trim panels.If you are not able to do this then contact to good Locksmith.