Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine code for missing on #2 cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodly1069 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine code for missing on #2 cylinder?

2000 Honda Civic 1.6L single cam, EX.

Hey fellas where would I start trying to track down a cylinder miss? I think when the car is cold I don't feel the miss as it is running richer this is an intermittant issue. Also, see that there is a transmission sensor code so is there a vacuum line that operates it? Thinking maybe vacuum leak. I have checked for oil in the distributor and don't see any. Kinda lost here, thanks for any advice.
Old 08-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine code for missing on #2 cylinder?

Post the code numbers and the freeze frame data stored (and the code associated with it, hopefully it's for the misfire) so I can see what the conditions were when the code set.
Old 08-29-2013
Registered!!

Sorry but I don't know what the freeze fram e data is. The codes were 1399, random misfire but the dude said it was ost likely happening before it figured out the next code which was 302, for the #2 cylinder misfire. finally, showing tranny errors of 705 & 706 but I didn't feel any shifting issues just that the car was missing when I first started it after being run earlier in the day.
Old 08-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Freeze frame data is a set of engine operating data parameters that was stored at the time a code set. Things like engine RPM, coolant temperature, vehicle speed, load, fuel trims, etc.

A misfire that only happens at idle is likely to be caused by something far different from a misfire that only happens at highway speed. I need to know when it misfires, and if YOU can't tell exactly when it does then that data tells me when the PCM saw it and set the code.

--------------------------------------------------

Codes P0705 and P0706 don't exist for that car.
P1705 and P1706 do though.

To set a P1705, the PCM had to see 2 gear position inputs at the same time for more than one second, which is a wrong operating state. Transmission range switch or wiring related.

P1706 is that same switch had NO inputs to the PCM, as if it were unplugged. The D4 switch state was "open" during acceleration/deceleration for (variable) amount of time.

I'd clear the codes and drive the car, see if any codes come back. Troubleshoot if they return.
Old 08-29-2013
Registered!!

OK great info. thanks a bunch. Those codes were on the ticket they gave me from the auto parts store. I will reset and try again!