Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mhillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant Leak

I have a 1999 Civic Lx and I believe I have a coolant leak. I was original having issues overheating while idling but over the last month Ive replaced my thermostat, my radiator and cap, all of my heater hoses, my bypass and radiator hoses, and all of my hose clamps. I started overheating again and I noticed it was because I was running low on coolant. I drove it around and it seemed to act ok when I filled it back up, but I had it pressure tested and it didn't hold pressure. I tried running the coolant pressure tester at 12 and at 16 psi (couldn't find how much I was supposed use anywhere) and after about 5 minutes the pressure would drop very slightly.

The only things I can think of that I havnt touched are the head gasket, the water pump, and the heater core. I don't think its my heater. If the head gasket or water pump were busted, would that cause a leak in the system? Would there be anywhere else to check for a leak? Thank you.
Old 07-31-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coolant Leak

16 PSI is plenty, don't go past that.

Pull the sparkplugs out when you pressure test it, see if coolant comes out when you crank it over after the pressure test.

Read about what happens when any 7th gen blows its head gasket.....yours is made of the same material.

Check this video out, you may as well check out the rest of the thread too. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4629441