Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Crunching/Rubbing" sound while stopping *VIDEO!*

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What_It_Do will become famous soon enough
"Crunching/Rubbing" sound while stopping *VIDEO!*

Happens as well when driving slow, but more of a "popping".
Goes away when going over 30mph.

Changed rotors/pads, actually helped for a while but same exact noise returned.
Changed calipers, again the noise comes back.

Jacked car up, and I could hear the sound slightly coming from inner CV area, so changed CV axle, nope.

I'm thinking it has something to do within the transmission, since everything but wheel bearings have been replaced.

I've actually brought car into two mechanics twice.
First they machined rotors, went away for a while.
Next they replaced calipers pad clips.
Went away for a while.

Seems like whenever the braking system is taken apart the sound temporarily goes away, but it's not the braking.
Noise doesn't car which way the steering wheels is turned.

Vibration from the noise can be felt in pedal and steering wheel.

Only notable things is that my engine/trans were replaced before I bought the car.

Everything else runs great, motor, shifts fine, etc.

This noise is embarrassing!

[youtube]IpjcVodLgF0[/youtube]
Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Re: "Crunching/Rubbing" sound while stopping *VIDEO!*

Might have to turn up speakers to hear sound, audio is somewhat quite on video.
Old 07-31-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That noise is going to be brake related.
Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That noise is going to be brake related.
I don't understand, I've changed calipers, rotors and pads, as well had two mechanics inspect brakes.
Noise seems to be coming from passenger side.
Old 07-31-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What_It_Do
I don't understand, I've changed calipers, rotors and pads, as well had two mechanics inspect brakes.
Ask someone figure out what the noise is instead of telling them what to inspect. Then take the mechanic for a quick ride, demonstrate the noise so everyone is on the same page.

Sure sounds like a brake related noise to me. Could be as simple as the slide pins needing greased. Could be something else.

You say passengers side, now figure out front or rear.
Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Ask someone figure out what the noise is instead of telling them what to inspect. Then take the mechanic for a quick ride, demonstrate the noise so everyone is on the same page.

Sure sounds like a brake related noise to me. Could be as simple as the slide pins needing greased. Could be something else.

You say passengers side, now figure out front or rear.
Ya, I first thought it was brakes too, and I've become so familiar with this noise I forgot to mention it was front passenger side.

The two times I left my vehicle at the shop because I work during the day otherwise I would have given the test drive, but I made sure to tell them to take it for a spin. They heard the noise, re-did the pad clips or machined rotors and noise was gone. Only to come back a week later.

It's frustrating.

Maybe I'll get someone to apply brakes while I inspect to see where It's coming from, but definitely sounds like it's from behind the braking system, and like I had mentioned, near inner CV area. I thought it was maybe the transmission splines, I don't know.
Anything transmission that could recreate this sound?
Old 07-31-2013

Ya, I first thought it was brakes too, and I've become so familiar with this noise I forgot to mention it was front passenger side. The two times I left my vehicle at the shop because I work during the day otherwise I would have given the test drive, but I made sure to tell them to take it for a spin. They heard the noise, re-did the pad clips or machined rotors and noise was gone. Only to come back a week later. It's frustrating. Maybe I'll get someone to apply brakes while I inspect to see where It's coming from, but definitely sounds like it's from behind the braking system, and like I had mentioned, near inner CV area. I thought it was maybe the transmission splines, I don't know. Anything transmission that could recreate this sound?
It's brake related.
Could be as simple as the slide pins needing greased.
If you pull the pins out of the bracket, you'll probably see wear marks diagonally opposite of each other on one or both pins. This is usually the result of a lack of lube (the original grease dries out over time and miles) combined with rotor warpage that pushes the caliper side to side while braking. I'd use Sil-Glyde or Moly paste to lube the pins. I'd replace if they show heavy wear.

Last edited by ezone; 07-31-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2013
Registered!!

It's brake related. If you pull the pins out of the bracket, you'll probably see wear marks diagonally opposite of each other on one or both pins. This is usually the result of a lack of lube (the original grease dries out over time and miles) combined with rotor warpage that pushes the caliper side to side while braking. I'd use Sil-Glyde or Moly paste to lube the pins. I'd replace if they show heavy wear.
Thanks for your responses.

I've greased the old calipers with Sil-Glyde, noise returned two weeks later.
Changed both calipers completely with new hardware (incl pad clips) and noise came back in two weeks.
I'm going to take it apart this weekend, and see whatsup.
For some reason I feel my hub may be bent, possibly from previous owner. I'll check for that, among other things.

Will keep this post updated, thanks again.
Old 08-01-2013

I've greased the old calipers with Sil-Glyde, noise returned two weeks later.
If the ONLY thing touched was those pins, that would be a good indication that was it. If other stuff was done at the same time, that makes it a tough call.

It makes the noise in time with each time the wheel goes around, and only while you are using the brake, correct?
No noise when going that slow but not using the brake, correct?
For some reason I feel my hub may be bent,
I would think that would cause serious vibration when braking from high speeds....but that would certainly cause a straight rotor to seem warped.....and the caliper to be pushed side to side as the rotor spins while braking. Even a chunk of rust trapped between the hub and rotor can cause the same effect, rotor no longer spins true (runout).

If you go drive the car at 65-75 MPH and hit the brake, is it smooth as glass or does it shake the steering wheel?

I had a car of my own that did this noise very similar to yours even with rotors straight enough to not vibrate significantly while braking. But the car had 200k on it...I ignored it.
Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

There's slight noise when going slow, which usually goes away when pedal is depressed slightly, sometimes.
This noise progressively gets worse as time goes on, meaning once maintenance is performed, or at least the brakes reset, it gradually gets worse as the weeks go on.
Right now it's very embarrassing, so will be taking it apart tomorrow.

If I'm going fast and apply brakes there is a vibration in the steering wheel.
Last time at the mechanics they said rotors were warped, and they were machined down. That only lasts a few weeks.

I'm going to jack front end up and put car in gear to see if the wheel rotates true, and take apart brakes and go from there.
Everything else on the car has been great, but this is very annoying, loud and as mentioned embarrassing since I always try to maintain, or at least ensure I can stop quietly..haha
Old 08-02-2013

There's slight noise when going slow, which usually goes away when pedal is depressed slightly, sometimes.
This kinda changes it...I thought the noise happened while braking, as it appeared you were braking in the video...Plus the noise seemed rather loud, seeing as how I could hear it on this crummy laptop.
If I'm going fast and apply brakes there is a vibration in the steering wheel. Last time at the mechanics they said rotors were warped, and they were machined down. That only lasts a few weeks.
Ok this needs resolved. Rotors may be too thin to safely resurface, and undersized rotors warp rapidly since they can't absorb as much heat as before. Measure with a micrometer and compare to published thickness spec., replace if undersize. There's a lot of factors that go into doing good rotor work. More than just slapping new rotors on.
I'm going to jack front end up and put car in gear to see if the wheel rotates true, and take apart brakes and go from there. Everything else on the car has been great, but this is very annoying, loud and as mentioned embarrassing since I always try to maintain, or at least ensure I can stop quietly..haha
Ummmmmm......... Does the noise change if you swerve side to side? See if the sheetmetal backing plate is contacting the rotor. They are easy to bend.

Next thought would be to apply Moly paste to the ears of the brake pads where they contact the caliper bracket.
Old 08-03-2013
Registered!!

I bought the car last year, and did the rotors/pads Sept. Lots of life left in them.

Today, I Jacked car up and put in gear..
Driver wheel spun true, looked over at the passenger side, it was wobbling a good 1/4" total.
Applied brakes, and it was so bad only the differential was spinning the driver side.

Took everything apart, looked for debris between wheel/rotor/hub, appeared all smooth.
I marked the rotor, where it was at it's most inward point, and it was just about the same location where only the one set-screw was installed keeping the rotor to hub. Other one was missing. These are only useful during manufacturing/assembly process so removed it, and rotated rotor 180* on hub.

Also, top slide pin was dry! (I actually never used Sil-Glyde on the reman calipers before installing). Did that, and pads.

Mounted the wheel, and it spun just about 100%.

Took it for a drive, zero pedal pulse when stopping from higher speed, and no noise when coming to a stop!

I'll give it some time..

If anything, if it returns, I'm going to replace bearing/hub, since that was my original suspicion. Car has 190,000miles, but for now it's stopping like a champ!

Thanks again for all your help ezone, ensuring that I diagnose this properly!