Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Honda Civic EX Emissions Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ColorMeHappy is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Honda Civic EX Emissions Problem

I know, another post about failing the emissions test and I've read them all. I'm also failing the big three Catalytic Conv, EVAP and Oxygen Sensor. My engine light is NOT on - it just says "not ready". I passed twice before. Two years and four years ago.

Last summer, I had the catalytic converter replaced at Pep Boys (don't ask about the price, I was robbed). I moved into the city and don't drive it much (three blocks mostly to the store and back) until January when the alternator blew. I got that replaced along with a nice tune up, oil change and she was good to go but sat in the garage.

I fail emissions and they said drive it. I drove her as suggested in the drive cycle for 1500 miles!

I failed the fourth time because somewhere on this forum, it states that when you put the key into the ignition the engine light should blink 5 times if it's not ready. Mine isn't blinking, it turns off after a few seconds but I still failed.

The mechanic changed the O2 sensor (that connects to the converter) yesterday because mine did look decrepit and I drove it today 80 miles (side streets, highway and suburban driving) but it's still not ready. The mechanic is now suggesting a new thermostat even though the fan is turning on.

I'm so frustrated that I said, "I think I'm just going to sell the damn thing!" And two of the mechanics offered to buy it. I'm upset - she's a good car with almost 160K miles on it and I picked her up for 1K four years ago. This has been the problem year and I've asked mechanics if it's time to sell and they say no.

Three questions that I'm reading online now:

1. Does the O2 sensor need to have a few drive cycles under it's belt considering it's new?

2. Is it true that the computer needs to build a memory? And I need to do some more driving to build it up since it can't seem to remember anything?

3. Anyone got any other suggestions for me aside from taking it to a Honda dealer and having it diagnosed? I won't do that. I did my car a favor and got her away from Pep Boys. She's got a good mechanic and they do diagnostics free but suggested a new thermostat today. I told them I'd come get that on Friday when I got paid (it's $40) and I'm going to take my car there without turning off the engine and ask them to run the diagnostics to see if it's erasing or something?

Because I never had problems, I waited until the last minute to take it to emissions and am now paying dearly.... if anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
Old 08-19-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 97 Honda Civic EX Emissions Problem

Originally Posted by ColorMeHappy
Three questions that I'm reading online now:

1. Does the O2 sensor need to have a few drive cycles under it's belt considering it's new?

2. Is it true that the computer needs to build a memory? And I need to do some more driving to build it up since it can't seem to remember anything?

3. Anyone got any other suggestions for me aside from taking it to a Honda dealer and having it diagnosed? I won't do that. I did my car a favor and got her away from Pep Boys. She's got a good mechanic and they do diagnostics free but suggested a new thermostat today. I told them I'd come get that on Friday when I got paid (it's $40) and I'm going to take my car there without turning off the engine and ask them to run the diagnostics to see if it's erasing or something?
1.) I heard somewhere that it can take up to 150 (not 1500) miles to adjust. I would recommend an engine idle relearn procedure:
a. Warm up your car to operating temperature and turn it off
b. pull the ECM fuse that's under the hood and put it back in. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1966666
c. Turn the car on and leave it alone for at least 10 minutes. ***Turn all electrical stuff like lights and radio off and DO NOT touch the accelerator during this time.***
d. Turn the car off.
e. Turn it back on again and go about your business. It should readjust within 150 miles. I usually figure it'll run through a tank of gas before it's ready.

2.) Yes. See above. It WILL fail emissions otherwise.

3.) You could always get yourself a scanner! THey're as expensive as you're willing to pay :-) What did they say?