Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic DX; Headlights Drain Battery with Engine Running!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChuckJunior is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 97 Civic DX; Headlights Drain Battery with Engine Running!

I've been having a problem with my Civic where when I'm driving at night and using my headlights, my radio will start cutting on and off, and all my dash lights and headlights as well will grow very dim. When I stop at a red light, my car nearly cuts off, but when I give it gas and take off again, everything returns to normal - lights as bright as they can be and the radio works fine. I just had a brand new alternator put in it a month ago, so I don't think that's the issue, but I'm really stumped about what it could possibly be. I've taken my car to O'Reilly Auto Parts and they said my battery was good, so I don't know what it is. Somebody please help! https://www.civicforums.com/forums/i...ilies/help.gif
Old 07-30-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 97 Civic DX; Headlights Drain Battery with Engine Running!

Sounds like it could be a bad ground. Check battery and alternator connections. Also check engine block ground.

Could also have something to do with the belt and of pully.
Old 07-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 Civic DX; Headlights Drain Battery with Engine Running!

Could be as simple as a belt that isn't tight enough......or bad alternator, poor grounds, etc. as already mentioned. Most DangerZones will check your charging and battery for free, I'd say to ask if Oreillys does it too if that's where you go.

A bad charging test result doesn't automatically mean the alternator is bad, it only means it isn't working right...but it sounds like it very well could be bad.