Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission grinds when going into 1st, 2nd, and 5th

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CaffeinatedBloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission grinds when going into 1st, 2nd, and 5th

Hello:

I have a 96 Civic DX with a manual transmission. It's not the original clutch, but it was done before I got the car, so the clutch has more than 40k miles on it. The transmission likes to make a "chunk" noise sometimes when shifting into first from a dead stop / first starting the car, and doesn't like to fully engage into 2nd and 5th gears. Those are recent problems, but as long as I can remember, it has almost always "chunked" when I had to put the car into reverse. Any suggestions? I think I will need to replace the clutch, but it isn't that old, and I'm not positive that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Transmission grinds when going into 1st, 2nd, and 5th

clutch adjustment? take to a mr. transmission store to have it looked at, but if it sounds strange, come back here with diagnosis so we can give opinions.