Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 EX Valve Cover Gasket Needs Replacing, Easy Job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbo is an unknown quantity at this point
97 EX Valve Cover Gasket Needs Replacing, Easy Job?

Original owner of a '97 Civic EX. The valve cover gasket has a leak. Not the most skilled mechanic, but it looks like a job even I can do. Is it one for an old shade tree mechanic such as myself? If it is, any tips or advice? What should I look for or avoid?
From what I see the only parts are a new gasket, (are they all the same), and some gasket sealer. Correct? I see this kit and I'm wondering if all those grommets and washers need to be replaced, too?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...e+cover+gasket
Thank you!
Old 07-19-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 97 EX Valve Cover Gasket Needs Replacing, Easy Job?

Easy job to do. Yes you will need sealent. I would buy an OEM gasket from an online store (just my preference). Since you are doing the valve cover gasket I would also do the spark plug seals and cam seal while you are there.

I buy my parts from here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp

If your west coast there is another online store. Take a look at the exploded view of the valve cover and it will give you an idea of the other gaskets I am talking about if your not sure what they are.

Just take your time make sure the gasket is on correctly and alternate tightening the valve cover bolts. Also a good time to adjust your valves since the cover is off.
Old 07-19-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply.
I'm seeing all sorts of different recommendations for the sealant. Definitely yes. . .definitely no. . .this type, that type. . .
My logic tells me using some type of sealant is necessary and so I will. Which type do you recommend?
Took a good look at the job and all it seems to involve is pulling off the plug wires, removing 5 bolts, and replacing the gasket. Something even I can handle.
Old 07-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Use an OEM gasket. I tried several after market including Felpro and all leaked. I used the HondaBond gasket sealer. Worked very well. Only use it around the cam seals.

Replace the spark plug seals. Sucks to have to pull it apart later and they will leak. You can do the cam seals if you want. Kind of a pain. I personally wouldn't mess with them if they aren't leaking, but again, a pain to pull apart later if they do.

You can replace the seals on the bolts but not necessary unless you damage them or they are leaking.

Not a difficult job, just make sure you clean everything very well before putting the new gasket in. And don't over torque the bolts.
Old 07-19-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I used gasket sealer that I got from Pep-Boys. Was made for valve covers don't remember what it was called.
Old 07-20-2013
Registered!!

Tigger, OEM gasket? You mean from Honda? Won't that be triple the cost?
Old 07-20-2013
Prelude Owner

It's $27 dollars + shipping: that's the complete kit

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DER+HEAD+COVER

There is a reason OEM parts cost more. They are better quality.
Old 07-20-2013
Registered!!

oceanbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

For the valve cover gasket, you need to put sealant (a very small amount) only on the sharp "corners" (abrupt change of direction of the gasket itself).

See this diagram:
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...der-head-cover

Only a tiny amount, a dab. When you bolt the cover down this will be squeezed both to the outside and inside. You want to minimize the amount that gets squeezed to the inside. If it is too much some of it may break loose and you generally want to avoid that.

HTH.

Last edited by oceanbreeze; 07-20-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carbo
Tigger, OEM gasket? You mean from Honda? Won't that be triple the cost?
As was stated above, $27 for the complete kit including spark plug seals and bolt seals. O'Rielly wants $31 for the same set by Felpro.
Like I said, I tried a lot of other brands. OEM was the only one that didn't leak.

I redid most of the gaskets and seals in my car. I ordered everything from RockAuto the first time. 70% were replaced the next week with OEM due to leaks. I probably have an 7 or 8 aftermarket gaskets and seals still new in box in the garage that I won't use. Unfortunately they won't fit your car.