Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Honda Civic HX P0301 after injector swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigAwesome is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Honda Civic HX P0301 after injector swap

1998 Honda Civic HX. Just bought the car with 150K miles and it has issues. I was getting a CEL code P0401 and had a fuel leak in the engine (horrible gas smell). I removed the fuel rail, replaced one of the injectors that had a broken tip and seals as well as removed/cleaned EGR valve and passages. I replaced everything and now it runs/idles very rough. Before it would surge quietly...now it sounds like the engine is going to jump out and the exhaust jumps as well.

Also my CEL is now blinking and giving me a code P0301 Misfire on Cylinder 1. I assume its related to what I did. It was the fuel injector I replaced in position #1...could the new one be bad? I'm not very mechanically inclined so thorough answers would help.

Note: It was a re-man injector AUS I bought from Amazon (Ive ordered 4 more and theyll be here tomorrow). I removed the obvious red plastic caps but there seemed to be a screw type thing in the smaller end...did this need to come out? While its running can i just un-hook the connector on injector 1 to see if the car smoothes out? Not sure if it would.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1998 Honda Civic HX P0301 after injector swap

could the new one be bad?
Absolutely.
See if it squirts fuel.
See if you missed the bottom gasket where the injector sticks into the manifold.
CEL code P0401
Should have nothing to do with fuel injectors.

While its running can i just un-hook the connector on injector 1 to see if the car smoothes out? Not sure if it would.
It won't. Disconnecting the wires would only disable it if it were actually working.
but there seemed to be a screw type thing in the smaller end...did this need to come out?
The new one should look pretty damn similar to the old one.

Last edited by ezone; 06-14-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigAwesome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Absolutely.
See if it squirts fuel.
See if you missed the bottom gasket where the injector sticks into the manifold.
Should have nothing to do with fuel injectors.

It won't. Disconnecting the wires would only disable it if it were actually working.
The new one should look pretty damn similar to the old one.
*There is no fuel squirting/leaking anywhere I can see.
*I did miss the gasket initially but I re-installed correctly and seals seem tight/complete.

*The new injector did look exactly the same except for that screw on the end. If it is clogged would that explain the rough idling/shaking?
Old 06-14-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigAwesome
*There is no fuel squirting
When I said "See if it squirts fuel", I meant "Is it, in fact, fully operational?"

Like, what is a fuel injector supposed to do? Is it doing that?

did look exactly the same except for that screw on the end.
So that makes it "not exactly the same", correct?

Pics?

If it is clogged would that explain the rough idling/shaking?
Maybe. See the first lines above.
Also, why would a "new" unit be clogged?