Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LostWind is an unknown quantity at this point
Gasket

Well I was driving home in the rain, had the A/C on to keep windows from fogging. A couple of miles from my house windows started to fog up, I didn't pay much attention and just wiped the window with my hand and finished the drive. As I got out of the car at my house, what do I see? Steam/smoke coming from under the hood. I couldn't really differentiate between the two. Got back in the car and the temp was in the no-no zone. Took the car to a local shop that has been working on my car for a while now. Got a grave call. Gasket needs to be replaced. They are asking for about 1100 including cleaning the header and replacing the timing belt. I mean it is what it is I guess. Gasket is the original one and the car is pushing 260K. Since they are already doing all this engine work should I see about doing anything additionally with the engine? What do you guys think? Spark plugs are good, tranny is good.
Old 06-10-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Gasket

$1100/12 months is $92 a month which is a pretty good car payment!

If they do the head gasket correctly, use an OEM gasket and the head isn't warped then chances are the car will be good for another 260k.

Might not be too much money to put a lower mileage replacement engine in but then you might have more issues if its not done correctly and you don't know the history of the engine.