Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broken Window Regulator -- 2000 HX

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redtail is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken Window Regulator -- 2000 HX

My 2000 Civic HX is having a problem with the passenger side power window. I’m pretty sure the problem is the window regulator, but before yanking it out or buying a new one, I want to make sure that the regulator is the problem.

Yes, I inspected the window and read the threads here.

The window will not close completely. When it is about ¾ of an inch from the top, it jumps around and makes a real racket.

If I push the window from the bottom, it goes up about an inch, but it falls back when I release pressure. This happens everywhere along its path.

When the window is descending under power, the regulator bows outward about an inch when it reaches the halfway point. On the way back up, it bows back inward at the same point.

The motor seems to be running smoothly with no unusual noises. The channel is in good shape, and all of the bolts are tight.

So what do you think – is it a broken regulator?

Doug
Old 05-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Broken Window Regulator -- 2000 HX

Scissor type regulator, I'd think you described a gear tooth worn down at the end of upward travel.

Gets almost to the top and goes POPPOPPOPPOPPOPPOP real fast, right?

Found this, clicky: http://www.academia.edu/2770258/Fail...ndow_mechanism

Under "gear tooth deformation", the tips of the last couple teeth on the regulator gear are worn down from load, this eventually lets the motor gear skip over them.

The gear attached to the motor would have some wear too, but not nearly as much as the gear on the regulator. But be ready to do the motor if the regulator alone doesn't solve it, just in case. (Honda sells them separately.)

I'd also lube the rubber seals with spray silicone while you have it all apart.

No clue yet what is happening in your description about the middle of the downward travel.

HTH
Old 06-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redtail is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you are exactly right. It gets to the top and then goes pop pop pop. I'll order a new window regulator. I'll see about the rest of it after doing that.

The paper you linked to was also helpful, and interesting.

Thanks, HTH, you were a big help.
Old 06-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redtail
Thanks, HTH, you were a big help.
YW, and "HTH" stands for "Hope That Helps". It's not my initials or anything.