Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Keep blowing 80 amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bigHazzard is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep blowing 80 amp

So I have a 97 civic and I put a 1.6 vtec out of a del sol to replace a blown engine. Got it up and running and its all fine. I put about 20 miles in about 6 short test trips and its all good. no leaks.. I go out yesterday and its dead find the 80 amp fuse blown. SO I went and bought 2 and put the first one in and it blows. get my test light out and if I jump it from one side to the other its lighting up the test light. I checked wiring all over the car. no burns or anything grounded that I can see. anyone have an idea?
Old 05-11-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keep blowing 80 amp

Your test light isn't effective in that situation. There are too many other power consumers on that fuse circuit that will cause a small test light to illuminate. But kudos for having one and trying to use it.

There are 2 main reasons the big main fuse ever blows---without other damage:

1) Connecting the battery backwards (jump start???), or
2) Short in the alternator circuit (the one big wire), either the wire or the alternator itself.

There are 2 big wires bolted to the fusebox, one from the battery (black?) and the other from the alternator (white or white/red).

Unbolt the alt charge lead from the fusebox. That should stop the fuse from blowing.
Then trace out why there is a short on that circuit.