Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine suddenly dead when running

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bruiny is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine suddenly dead when running

hi all,
as you might guess, I am new here.
I am at my wits' end with my 98 Honda Civic LX.
The problem starts around late summer of last year.
It is sporadic, so I didn't quite pay attention until one day the engine died on the highway after I picked up the kids at the school. It didn't make any sound nor giving any warnings, just suddenly died. After that highway episode, it seems like it just taken its own fancy schedule as far as when to die, so to say. In a given day, it could 4 episodes in a day. Then it runs perfectly for some weeks then it starts again and went away again.

Went to my mechanic twice, who couldn't find out what's wrong with it. His suggestion was 'to let it die completely and bring it back here' Uhm no..., not going to wait until we got into accident, thanks.

It just quietly dies while being driven. I had to turn it completely off, wait for some moment and try to turn it on again. Sometimes it just turns on again without me being frustrated and there were moments when I had to do several attempts. Once I heard clicking sound before the engine died, only once, the rest makes no sound at all. No lights are on.

I figure, I might ask around first, maybe someone handy with cars could give me pointers as what to do.
Thank you so much in advance.