Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P1457. Please help!!!!!

Old 02-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blue1878 is an unknown quantity at this point
P1457. Please help!!!!!

Please Help.. I have a 99 civic ex. check engine light wont go away! Changed purge valve and gas cap but still problem persists! Now my mechanic smoke tested my car and said that the purge valve is staying open and/or i may need a new charcoal canister!! My question is what would make the purge valve stay open and how can I fix this problem!! Thanks folks
Old 02-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P1457. Please help!!!!!

A good possibility if you are in the rust & salt belt:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/evap-diag/03-001.pdf

Read the "POSSIBLE CAUSE" section on the first page.

You would need someone that can actually monitor and actuate the valve through the computer in order to check this, and that means a high level or dealer level scantool.

IF the computer cannot turn the valve on and off, then you are looking at some expense for a PCM.

There are several other possibilities too.
Are you paying for someone to guess?
I'd much rather pay for someone that can diagnose and get it right.
Old 08-01-2013
Registered!!

MyDDtheHONDA is an unknown quantity at this point

Up from the dead. I am also struggling with the p1457 code.

Except I think my canister and everything is under the hood not back by the gas tank.

Does that make sense?

2000 civic lx

@ezone;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	85493  
Old 08-01-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MyDDtheHONDA
Except I think my canister and everything is under the hood not back by the gas tank. Does that make sense? 2000 civic lx @ezone;
Canister is under the hood, sure. But there are still several important items back at the gas tank area. What they consider to be the Canister System includes many of those items. Read that bulletin that was linked in the earlier post, but remember there are more possibilities than just that mentioned in the bulletin.
Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Canister is under the hood, sure. But there are still several important items back at the gas tank area. What they consider to be the Canister System includes many of those items. Read that bulletin that was linked in the earlier post, but remember there are more possibilities than just that mentioned in the bulletin.
Do I need to drop the tank to access the rest?
Old 08-02-2013

I loosen everything and drop just the side I need access to, far enough to get my hands in to work. I don't take the entire tank out unless it becomes absolutely necessary.
Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I loosen everything and drop just the side I need access to, far enough to get my hands in to work. I don't take the entire tank out unless it becomes absolutely necessary.
Ugh...poor design if that's the case...

Thank you for the help!
Old 08-23-2013
Registered!!

Kyles24 is an unknown quantity at this point

blue1878,

The P1457 code is a quick and easy fix..... You will need to buy two parts.... One being the EVAP Canister and the other the CVS check valve.... The reason being is your car, like mine, is older and there is a screw that connects these two parts together. Which after being exposed to salt and moisture, it has rusted. When trying to undue the screw chances are it will bust. Therefore, you purchase these two parts and screw them together before attempting this repair. These parts are located easily accessible next to your fuel tank. Tools needed off the top of my head are 3/8" drive with 6" extension, pliers, and I think 13mm socket. Repair shop got $500 from my sister. I paid a total of $120 for both parts and maybe took an hour.
Old 08-23-2013
Registered!!

Kyles24 is an unknown quantity at this point

MyDDHonda,

Your EVAP canister is actually back by the fuel tank, not under the hood.... I had the P1457 code 6months ago. I tackled the problem myself, not hard at all.... See the post I made to blue.