Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 EK coupe multiple problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOHC96EK is an unknown quantity at this point
96 EK coupe multiple problems

I just swapped my blown motor for a 96 dx sohc non vtec motor, i used my EX tranny and plan to turbo soon

but before i can turbo i have a list of things i need replaced unsure on price and unsure exactly what i need.

1st, i have a squeek coming from the right side since i changed motors.. its not a constant squeek but almost sounds like a belt... obviously there is no belts on the right side of the motor... what could cause this? its not wheel or brake related, is it possible rubber came off one of the mounts and is causing friction squeeks?

2nd when i turn my wheel left or right while parked it sounds as though my car wants to just fall apart, it squeeks and lightly grinds (i have no power steering so it is not the pump) would this be ball joint?

I plan on putting 3grand into the car. What parts do i need to stop these squeeks as well as turbo this motor? Where can i get these parts cheap new or used.

should i just replace my whole suspension rotors pads caliipers tierods ball joints etc?

please help... i live in massachusetts and am open to all suggestions and help.

(am i better off buying a 4door fresh shell and just reswapping motor) ? i love my milano coupe
Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

marshallinux is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 96 EK coupe multiple problems

The squeaks on turning may be the ball joint. If it's worn out, the boot should be torn apart. So it should be fairly easy to see if the boot is intact with a good flash light and touching around the joint to see if the grease has been leaking etc.
I have swapped ball joints out before, but I had to buy a $75 special tool to get the ball joint out of the knuckle.
Old 02-01-2013
Former Sponsor

go-part is an unknown quantity at this point

When does the squeak occur for that first problem? (accelerating or decelerating, turning or just going straight)

For the second problem, your tie rod ends may be worn, or control arm, or ball joint may be shot.
Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

the first problem happens with acceleration and right turns. Its not a constant noise and tends to come and go... sometimes its constant for 10min ride around 2-4grand rpm.. sometimes it doesnt do it for over and hour.

the noise started as of last sunday when i swapped motor from ex to dx non vtec. also i replaced the whole clutch assembly.

the sound is equal to when you lower a window and its squeelches at you for the glass squeeking but it comes from the front right side of car
Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

also were can i find a good suspension kit such as tierods, balljoints, control arm, struts, all in one?

what exact peices do i need to replace whole front end left and right of suspension. parts have 150k on them and have not been replaced from looks of things.

boots are fine on joints but have no fluid at all in them.