Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic EX - Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic_civilian is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Civic EX - Won't start

New to the forum. I'm unable to figure out why the car won't start. I was driving along in 5th gear when the car simply died. It cranks, but won't turn over.

Here's what I have tried so far:

Checked all the fuses and relays
Replaced the main relay up under the passenger side of the dash
Replaced the spark plugs and wires
Replaced the distributor (I replaced it with a new one I bought on eBay. There's a small chance that it came nonworking. How do I bench test it?)
Cleaned the grounds, in particular the one near the thermostat which seems to be a problem spot
I used a OBD ii reader to check the output, I didn't get a code
The timing belt is good

Again, the car cranks but won't turn over. I think it is an electrical problem and not a fuel problem. The fuel pumps turns on when I turn the key and the fuses associated with the fuel pump are good. It was suggested to me that it my be the crank sensor.

Ideas?
Old 12-23-2012
Registered!!

Ironliftr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1998 Civic EX - Won't start

Sounds exactly like the problem I had two weeks ago. Do you have spark, at the plugs or at the distributor? Mine was a distributor/ ignition coil. Replaced with a Napa rebuild and fired right up.
Old 12-23-2012
Registered!!

Thanks. As I said in the first post, I put a new distributor in and that didn't solve the problem.

Last edited by civic_civilian; 12-23-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2012
Registered!!

Update:

I had a friend over tonight and we tested the spark and fuel lines. I'm getting good fuel pressure and I have spark.

I feel like I'm close to fixing the problem. Ideas?
Old 12-24-2012
Registered!!

JDM for Lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point

check the injectors. use a noid light or a screw driver.
Old 12-25-2012
Kevin

rr081709 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it's not the crankshaft position sensor(crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor as my haynes book calls it)... i just had to replace on of those on my 99 civic... it was located behind timing belt cover behind harmonic balancer and the bolt in the balancer or pulley (whatever you'd like to call it) was a b*tch to get off. ended up breaking sever sockets and a couple extensions... if you need to replace and snap a socket right off, get some impact grade sockets and extension... (best if it's 6 point) should be 17mm. extensions to bring it out past wheel well will help tremendously, as well as a jack stand and cinder block to get to proper height.Bent a cheater bar doing it but finally it gave, maybe some PB buster as well. hopefully you'll be able to figure it out without all that work!

I too have had problems with my car not getting spark and am in the process of replacing my distributor. Waiting for it to arrive in mail to put on. Certainly since our models are very similar we may have similar issues at times. It's good to see ideas here spread around from people trying to help each other! I'd certainly check the injectors first. Good luck!