Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Honda Civic EX Auto Transmission Issue(s)

Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charparkuf is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb 97 Honda Civic EX Auto Transmission Issue(s)

I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX with approx 150K miles. The car will drive perfectly from a cold start for 1-2 miles at which point the check engine light comes on and the shifting begins to malfunction. After coming to a complete stop the car will not accelerate and only revs when the gas pedal is pressed. If I turn the car off for 10 seconds and turn it back on the check engine light goes off and the car drives fine again for about half a mile until the check engine light comes on and the car goes out of gear again. There is no 'burning' smell, the trans fluid is red and at the proper level as far as I can tell.

If anyone has an idea or suggestion that could help me it would be the greatest Christmas gift ever.

Happy Holidays,

Charles
Old 12-23-2012
Former Sponsor

go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 Honda Civic EX Auto Transmission Issue(s)

It sounds as if something inside the transmission isnt engaging. I would suggest getting it checked out by a mechanic/rebuilt.
Old 12-24-2012
Registered!!

charparkuf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the reply. I actually brought it to two shops already. The first shop said there is nothing wrong. The second shop took 7 days 'diagnosing' the issue before taking the transmission apart to look inside. Now the second shop is saying a piece of the torque converter broke off and ruined the transmission. This makes no sense as: 1. The transmission works perfectly for a few miles from a cold start. If the transmission was completely shot the car would not move at all. 2. From reading other posts I believe my problem could be dirty screens (which can be resolved with a flush or two) and possibly the linear solenoid. I just find it hard to believe that one shop says everything is ok and the next 'finds' a $1,500-$2,000 problem.
Old 12-26-2012
Kevin

rr081709 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps it couldn't hurt to have the CEL checked out when it comes on, sometimes the error code that is "pulled" can help direct you in the proper direction. It may even tell you that your having a problem with this "linear solenoid". As far as shops and mechanics go.... sometimes they just want your money, but it could be hard to tell what they're thinking is.